Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Performance Basics for beginner

Hey guys,

Just wondering if you could give me a list of the basic/easy things to change in my 1997 Protege SE 1.5L engine.

Only thing I've done so far is change the air filter to K&N.

I'm looking at Cold Air Intake next but saw that post on how to optimize the stock air intake but am wondering if a cold air intake would be the equivalent or if an aftermarket cold air intake is in fact better? Also, if buying a cold air intake and installing it would be easier than messing around with my stock intake since I'm not too experience but can follow instructions and learn quickly.

Any other ideas would be great. Looking for nicer sound and a more efficient, clean running engine.
    1997 Mazda Protege DX - 1.5L, 4 door

Originally posted by SpecialBlend View Post
    Hey guys,

Just wondering if you could give me a list of the basic/easy things to change in my 1997 Protege SE 1.5L engine.

Only thing I've done so far is change the air filter to K&N.

I'm looking at Cold Air Intake next but saw that post on how to optimize the stock air intake but am wondering if a cold air intake would be the equivalent or if an aftermarket cold air intake is in fact better? Also, if buying a cold air intake and installing it would be easier than messing around with my stock intake since I'm not too experience but can follow instructions and learn quickly.

Any other ideas would be great. Looking for nicer sound and a more efficient, clean running engine.

You could search and maybe just stick around and read all the threads that have been discussed to death
    95 ES
    05 S60R

Comment

Better off putting an ls1 in it.
      Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
      kitty, you are a hilarious woman
      Originally posted by HopelessCow
      there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
      Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

I did some searching but didn't find much info on what I'm looking for.

I have read quite a few threads on cold air intake and turbochargers.

Question about putting in a cold air intake.. I was reading one thread and someone was talking about water getting into it I think, and since they get snow a lot in the winter it would melt and cause problems?

And finding a turbo seems to be a custom job for Proteges, since there aren't any made for our cars you have to take a 240sx or other turbo and fit it?

My friend has a 240sx with a turbo so I could probably find a cheap turbo through him, but since I'm not too experienced I'm not sure this is a safe thing to do? I heard someone saying that if you do it wrong you could blow it, either the turbo or the engine.

I guess mostly I'm looking to make sure my engine is working perfectly, I'm thinking air intake modifications would be the most simple way to enhance the engine.

Also, Kitty whats an ls1?

If you guys have any thread urls to discussions, please provide them since I couldn't find any discussions on overall engine performance enhancements.

-SpecialBlend
        1997 Mazda Protege DX - 1.5L, 4 door

Comment

I'm also looking at doing the same to my 98 mazda protege because its a 1.5 l and it is slowww ive been searching for a while and i can only find intake for the 1.8. Heres a sri for cheap idk if it would fit mine or your car im trying to find out the same http://www.optionracing.com/features...sp?itemID=2019

Comment

Terrible design on that cold air intake since the bend before the throttle body is a 90 degree angle.
            1997 Protegé ES: The Power of BP

Broke Status FTW!

Comment

i tried purchasing that same intake and option racing has it on backorder indefinitely. If you measure your intake diameter, it is 2" which is actually the same as most hondas. I had a late 90s accord ram intake laying around, and it almost fit perfectly. It even had the ports for the oil blow by(i think thats what its called). Only thing is i had to black off a seperate one that was underneath.
              Edit - i just realized you said you have a 1.5. Best bet would be to swap that for the 1.8 motor to begin with.
              Last edited by Eric; 06-21-2009, 10:11 AM.

Comment

One year old thread bump? O.o
                This is my BP. There are many like it but this one is mine. My BP is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my BP is useless. Without my BP I am useless. I must drive my BP true. I must drive straighter than my enemy, who is trying to beat me. I must beat him before he beats me.

Comment

Working...
                X