Stalling upon starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stalling upon starting

I read through the FAQ but did not find a symptom that matched my particular problem, hence the question I am about to present.

First of all I have a 1997 Protege, 1.5L 5spd with 146,000 km's on it. Overall in excellent condition, other than the air bag light and this problem:

Upon starting my car, about 75% of the time, I'm forced to press the accelerator pedal in order to keep the car from stalling. This problem lasts approximately 5-10 seconds, then will idle smoothly.

There is no CEL nor is it providing any codes on my scan tool.

Any ideas?

Thanks

does it do it after the car has been running for awhile and turn off and back on? (like starting it after being warmed up..)
    sigpic
    96 protege dx - gone :'(
    94 Mustang Gt - Became one with a deer
    02 dodge 1500 - CAI, random aftermarket exhaust
    95 protege dx - now derivable, my new project

Originally posted by firelizard
    I'm going to go take a bath in $10 bills after my mom makes me a PB&J.
    Me: just wondering if that was a 2500 and if it was a diesel
    Class mate 1: it wasn't mine, but i think it mighta been a 1 ton and ya it was a diesel
    Class mate 2: no way, that truck was way to big to be a 1 ton...

Comment

No, usually after it has cooled off, i.e. mornings etc.

Comment

Hmmm, I can't help here. Maybe some questions will help:

Had the car rencently gone into the shop for something?

Had you done something to the car, yourself?

Do you recall hitting something on the street?

Were you trying to fix the seat belt light problem you have?

Comment

I'd say an intake leak.

Spray the motor down with carb cleaner before it warms up completely but still able to run on its own accord.
          Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
          kitty, you are a hilarious woman
          Originally posted by HopelessCow
          there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
          Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

Originally posted by Kitty View Post
            I'd say an intake leak.

Spray the motor down with carb cleaner before it warms up completely but still able to run on its own accord.
            But it's not an accord, it's a Protege, ha ha. An intake leak was the first thing that came to my mind but our cars are excellent at throwing a code for an intake leak.

Still, Daddy Rim, look at your intake hose for cracks, especially underneath between the little ribs. You may have to take it off to get a good look at it.

The second thing to look at is the MAF sensor. Your symptoms also sound like a problem there but, again, the strange thing is that it would also throw a code. Hopefully your scan tool isn't bad.

Comment

Your intake/idle passages might be gummed up - maybe that's why its taking a while for the IACV to react and bump up your idle at start. You can try cleaning the TB or try running seafoam through the intake.

Comment

Working...
              X