No announcement yet.

Rapid decrease in RPMs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess if you cannot do it then it becomes an issue of whether the expense would be worth it or not. In my case my 97's EGR passages were completely clogged from the actual EGR itself all the way into the manifold where the port allows exhaust gases to enter the manifold. I ended up getting another manifold from the JY and spent a few days soaking and cleaning that one out and ensuring the passages were clean before I installed that. I can't imagine how much labor cost you might be looking at for this.

The danger is that by leaving it this way you might cause some engine damage in the long term as exhaust gases are recirculated into the combustion chamber to lower combustion temperatures (yes, it sounds odd but it's the introduction of gases lacking oxygen which cause lower combustion temps). The main goal of EGR is to lower NOx production, but, also the cooler temps help prevent pre-ignition and pinging (which can destroy your engine). Pre-ignition is caused by hot spots inside the cylinder which cause the gas/air mixture to ignite independently from the spark plug...the pinging sound you might hear is from the flame igniting the gas and the subsequent combustion slamming down on your pistons.

So, in short, there is a small risk of engine damage long-term if you don't fix the problem, but, the overall main goal of EGR is to reduce the pollution which causes acid rain.

Comment

so would you advice just finding a new intake and cleaning it before i put it on then put the "new" intake on?

Comment

Might save you some time. I have learned in the past that if I want to replace something major (like a valve cover, manifold, etc.) it helps to have a replacement part ready since they tend to be cheap at the JY (an intake at a pick your own place for example might cost $20). Gives you time to clean it throughly and prep it for installation.

The intake on the 97-98 is fairly easy to remove compared to other engines due to the simplicity of the engine. If you have a "pick your own" junkyard near you with a 97 or 98 you could take it off and learn how to do it without having to worry about messing yours up. Then you'll have an idea of what you need and how much time to do your own.

Looks like there's one in Panama City and one in Tallahassee (Pick n' Pull). The online inventory shows a 98 Protege in Tallahassee but nothing in PC (though the online inventory is not always right...and obviously PC is closer than TH).

Somewhere I think I have photos of the manifold I cleaned. If I can find them then I'll post a photo showing exactly what gets plugged.

Comment

Before going the manifold route do see if you can remove your EGR and check to see if the ports are clogged up. If you remove the tube going from the air cleaner to the throttle body the EGR is located underneath the throttle body. The EGR has a big electrical connector going to the top and is held on by 2 10mm nuts I believe. Be careful as it's easy to snap off the studs holding the nuts in place if they are stuck and you put too much torque on the wrench. Take the EGR assembly off (don't lose the thin gasket between the EGR and the manifold) and see if the holes are clogged with coke (baked on fluffy and oily carbon).

I'd go that route first before worrying about the manifold.

Comment

i saw the egr when i took the air cleaner tube off the throttle body. I didn't see the two bolts that attach it too the throttle body though. If you could post a pic or two that would be GREAT

btw thank you for the massive amount of help i'm a high school student slowly learning about how to work on cars. I have basic knowledge from my mechanic dad but it's great to have community that has same cars. thanks a lot!

Comment

also could you post the links to those "pick your own" yard that you found?

Comment

Well I couldn't find the photos I took of the manifold cleaning (unusual that I don't take photos) but here is the EGR highlighted for you to remove and clean:

It's located beneath the throttle body. Disconnect the TPS sensor to get easier access. It can be tricky to get the 12mm bolts off as the wire harness and coolant hoses get in the way.

Comment

If you really have the time you can make your engine look like this (top is when I bought it and bottom is just a few days ago...I had to replace the O-ring on the distributor because it was leaking oil all over the place)

Comment

also for anyone that wants to know if the cel light is burned out, when you first turn the key to the on position, it should light up for a tiny bit, it should also turn off when cranking, and if a code is set, turn back on when the car is running. if it never lights up its burned out or removed.
                    sigpic
                    96 protege dx - gone :'(
                    94 Mustang Gt - Became one with a deer
                    02 dodge 1500 - CAI, random aftermarket exhaust
                    95 protege dx - now derivable, my new project

Originally posted by firelizard
                    I'm going to go take a bath in $10 bills after my mom makes me a PB&J.
                    Me: just wondering if that was a 2500 and if it was a diesel
                    Class mate 1: it wasn't mine, but i think it mighta been a 1 ton and ya it was a diesel
                    Class mate 2: no way, that truck was way to big to be a 1 ton...

Comment

so while taking the egr off i got the first bolt off then the back bolt broke. Half of the bolt is still in the intake manifold. Should i replace the manifold, or get the bolt out. If so what's the best way to get it out. The broken bolt piece is almost flush with the mani so i can't get a grip on it or anything.

Comment

either buy or find some1 with an ez out kit, you drill a small hole, hammer in a chisel like thing and than turn it

good tip for removing exhaust components: get them extremely hot, while they are hot, spray them with pb blaster (or something similar) come back and spray them again and again till cool. than loosen, you'll break less bolts this way...
                        sigpic
                        96 protege dx - gone :'(
                        94 Mustang Gt - Became one with a deer
                        02 dodge 1500 - CAI, random aftermarket exhaust
                        95 protege dx - now derivable, my new project

Originally posted by firelizard
                        I'm going to go take a bath in $10 bills after my mom makes me a PB&J.
                        Me: just wondering if that was a 2500 and if it was a diesel
                        Class mate 1: it wasn't mine, but i think it mighta been a 1 ton and ya it was a diesel
                        Class mate 2: no way, that truck was way to big to be a 1 ton...

Comment

i've got a can of pb blaster that stuff is awesome. I'm going to have to take the mani off to be able to drill and use the easy out so i guess it's gonna get a super deep clean while it's out

Comment

About your problem!

few days ago, i had same problem, RPM down, so Autozone Said MAP sensor is gone, i try to clean it, and see an air hose that come from EGR was broke, change hose and that's it all, RPM are O.k, light is gone, Car is running good.
                            So my problem now it's an oil leak from cam seal, it's so difficult change it??

Somebody has HAynes manual in PDF format, my car is an Protege 96 DX 1.5L.

regards from Tijuana Mexico!!

BDW this a picture from leak, i must get off time belt? or only tensioner down seal??

Comment

where did you get the hose to replace because the hookup at AZ spit out the same code for 98 protege. I pulled off the vacuum line to the map sensor and felt nothing

Comment

Working...
                              X