The idle issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The idle issue

I have a manual 96 1.5L DX that was working just great for me until a week or so ago. It started off with the car's idle dropping down to where it almost died and all the lights dimmed. Then there was a grinding sound comming from the passenger side of the engine compartment, but only at a certain rpm range.

So a few days ago I decided to clean out the throttle body. Now the car idles very high and when I am in any gear and let the idle drop to something approaching normal the car jerks like I just hit the brakes. If it put it in neutral then the idle jumps way back up and the car stops drastically slowing down.

I did search around and couldn't find anything that really sounded like my problem. I'm going to the junkyard next week or so once it stops raining and I'll pick up whatever I need to fix it.

So, any ideas?

did you remove the tps sensor when you cleaned the tb? possibly got the tps backwards? otherwise idk
    sigpic
    96 protege dx - gone :'(
    94 Mustang Gt - Became one with a deer
    02 dodge 1500 - CAI, random aftermarket exhaust
    95 protege dx - now derivable, my new project

Originally posted by firelizard
    I'm going to go take a bath in $10 bills after my mom makes me a PB&J.
    Me: just wondering if that was a 2500 and if it was a diesel
    Class mate 1: it wasn't mine, but i think it mighta been a 1 ton and ya it was a diesel
    Class mate 2: no way, that truck was way to big to be a 1 ton...

Comment

Well I think I figured it out. Some how the screw that adjusts where the throttle rests came loose and was making it so that the the throttle couldn't close enough. So this of course made the RPMs jump way the crap up. I'll tighten it down tomorrow and adjust my idle speed also. Thank you for the assistance though.

Comment

Working...
      X