Starting Issues - Z5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting Issues - Z5

For a few months now I've been having a starting issue with my 1998 Protege. When I first start it, it fires up and runs perfect, but if I leave it somewhere for around an hour and go to start it, it will either start and immediately stall, or it will spit and sputter, then stall. On second crank it starts right up and runs fine, like any car would the first time.

From what I've read, these are symptoms of a bad Fuel Pressure Regulator or an Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor, but I'm not 100% certain.

If anyone has had a similar issue, and knows what it is, I would be greatly appreciative if you could help me out.

Have you used an OBDII scanner on it? Even if the check engine light isn't on, there may still be a code. Mine had trouble with the EGR valve being stuck. I just took it out and cleaned it real good, then greased it up. Fixed my problem. Don't know if that is your problem, but it's worth cleaning it anyway.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA

Comment

Originally posted by irishkev90 View Post
      Have you used an OBDII scanner on it? Even if the check engine light isn't on, there may still be a code. Mine had trouble with the EGR valve being stuck. I just took it out and cleaned it real good, then greased it up. Fixed my problem. Don't know if that is your problem, but it's worth cleaning it anyway.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA
      I ordered an OBD II scanner on Friday. There is no check engine light on, but I suspect the bulb is burned out, since it doesn't even come on when I first turn the ignition on.

Comment

Try letting the fuel pump run a bit before cranking to see if that changes anything.
        Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
        kitty, you are a hilarious woman
        Originally posted by HopelessCow
        there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
        Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

Oddly enough, my issue was the spark plugs. I replaced them and it's been starting fine.

Comment

Working...
          X