door mouldings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

door mouldings

i was thinking of this for quite some time but anybody know how much is the estimate for shaving and painting door mouldings, i dont mean the door handles, just the door moulodings? thx

No idea what you're talkin about. pic maybe
    ED
    '05 6s 3.0L MT & '98 Pro DX 1.5L AT

Mazda Enthusiast Club Member
    Click for my CarDomain page

2nd Gen Protege Parts Catalog project in progress
    WTB: Gray 97/98 Protege Cupholder and Door Trim

Comment

i think he meant the long black door moulding on the exterior, wherein a few guys on this board had taken off their cars.

1996 1.5L Mazda Protege DX MTX
      Mods:
      DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.
      http://www.cardomain.com/id/beetle_orange

Comment

and women too ....I took off mine and then had the sides buffed ...it makes the sides look much better...I also had my door handles and side mirrors painted to match the car

My Protege !

Comment

yea, i did, right after i got a door ding right below the darned thing and saw it being so useful. It's a very easy, but kind of time consuming job to do. Get a heat gun, floss, fishing line, or small guage guitar string and some goo-gone, or carb cleaner(i found that worked well..not sure just how good it is for your paint though =P ) and heat up the moudlings a bit, and get some goo-gone on the adhesive holding it on. if you can, try pulling it off by hand, but dont go too crazy, if you cant, take your floss/fishing line/guitar string(be careful with this one, unless its nylon) and work it into the adhesive, basically cutting the moulding off of the adhesive. just keep doing this all around, and have fun taking the remaining adhesive off. i still have some on there

Mods:
          JDM Headlights + Corners
          JDM Tailights
          1st Gen LX Black Wheels
          Shaved Side Mouldings
          Second hand 'High-Flow' Muffler
          Cone Filter
          KYB GR-2's + Perf Lowering Springs
          E-Bay front strut bar
          Gauge cluster swap w/ Tach + Indiglo gauges
          40% Tint on side windows, 20% on rear
          and the best custom 3rd brake light overlay...'ZOOM'

Comment

Originally posted by soccom2005
            i was thinking of this for quite some time but anybody know how much is the estimate for shaving and painting door mouldings, i dont mean the door handles, just the door moulodings? thx
            you want to shave the door mouldings? then paint them? that makes no sense.

just peel them off, and get rid of that left over goo that'll be stuck on the door.

just peel the door moulding off and you're done.
            Attached Files
            Almost there

jdm tails... check
            jdm bumper... check
            ms lip... check
            ms grill... check
            ms sideskirts... check
            ms rear skirts... check
            ms spoiler... check
            ms struts... check

Still trying for a bp swap..:
            Fidanzda 8lb flywheel, ACT HD00, UR Crank Pulley, UR Adj. Cam-Gears, Exh-Intake CamShaft Swap, MS Engine Mounts, Custom CAI, PaceSetter Header, 2.25" in/out-let Magnaflow Cat, 2.25" Mandrel-Bent Exhaust.

Comment

you but how you gonna take the glue out so you dont really have to repaint it, i was asking for an estimate cuz i might have the body shop do it while installing something

Comment

Originally posted by soccom2005
                you but how you gonna take the glue out so you dont really have to repaint it, i was asking for an estimate cuz i might have the body shop do it while installing something
                Originally posted by JZProwler
                ...It's a very easy, but kind of time consuming job to do. Get a heat gun, floss, fishing line, or small guage guitar string and some GOO-GONE, or carb cleaner(i found that worked well..not sure just how good it is for your paint though =P ) and heat up the moudlings a bit, and get some GOO-GONE on the adhesive holding it on. if you can, try pulling it off by hand, but dont go too crazy, if you cant, take your floss/fishing line/guitar string(be careful with this one, unless its nylon) and work it into the adhesive, basically cutting the moulding off of the adhesive. just keep doing this all around, and have fun taking the remaining adhesive off. i still have some on there
                Almost there

jdm tails... check
                jdm bumper... check
                ms lip... check
                ms grill... check
                ms sideskirts... check
                ms rear skirts... check
                ms spoiler... check
                ms struts... check

Fidanzda 8lb flywheel, ACT HD00, UR Crank Pulley, UR Adj. Cam-Gears, Exh-Intake CamShaft Swap, MS Engine Mounts, Custom CAI, PaceSetter Header, 2.25" in/out-let Magnaflow Cat, 2.25" Mandrel-Bent Exhaust.

Comment

It's perfectly smooth under the mouldings? Neat, that gives me another option...
                  I thought that sanding them smooth and painting them body colour might be cool though

Comment

I am painting mine gunmetal to match the rims and spoiler and all the other boring black crap on my pro...
                    MY CARDOMAIN LINK

STOLEN 09/28/2007

Comment

when I had mine removed...a eraser wheel was used to take off the leftover adhesive

My Protege !

Comment

Originally posted by 95Protege
                        I am painting mine gunmetal to match the rims and spoiler and all the other boring black crap on my pro...
                        i personally like the mono-tone paint jobs. they just look a lot cleaner.
                        Almost there

jdm tails... check
                        jdm bumper... check
                        ms lip... check
                        ms grill... check
                        ms sideskirts... check
                        ms rear skirts... check
                        ms spoiler... check
                        ms struts... check

Comment

Yea, they are just stick-on's, nice and smooth and body colored underneath.
                          I've been planning on giving my car a good going over sometime...maybe I'll see if my friend can give me a hand this summer, he works for an auto-body place and does most of the prep/painting/finishing so he should be able to get her to shine like new. When i do wash her you can still see parts of the adhesive, I started rushing, and thats no good.

Mods:
                          JDM Headlights + Corners
                          JDM Tailights
                          1st Gen LX Black Wheels
                          Shaved Side Mouldings
                          Cone Filter
                          E-Bay front strut bar

Comment

ok i got some questions before i attempt this, you said heat gun, does a hair dryer work or no and does goo gone works well and would it do something with the paint? ty!

Comment

A hair dryer would work, just might take a little longer since it doesnt reach the same temperature. And goo gone is made pretty much for automotive applications, and is paint-friendly, so no worries with that. If you have any stuck on tar or bugs, thats what it's meant for.

Mods:
                              JDM Headlights + Corners
                              JDM Tailights
                              1st Gen LX Black Wheels
                              Shaved Side Mouldings
                              Cone Filter
                              E-Bay front strut bar

Comment

Working...
                              X