Exhaust fumes when stopped.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust fumes when stopped.

SO I don't know about the rest of you, but on my car, when stopped at a traffic light, or in a parking lot waiting for the **** to warm up or whatever and I have the fan on wether it be for heat or AC. I get exhaust fumes coming into the cabin. I hghly doubt this is normal, since I've been in other cars/truck etc and it hasn't happened in them. WHat the **** can I do about it??
    Ryan The middle child is always ignored
    BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
    Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

only when the car is warming up or all the time?

Comment

All the time.
      Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

did you check for any leaks, near the manifold or downpipe/flex pipe or anywhere in the engine bay?

Comment

Matter of fact, I haven't but I haven't noticed any increased noise from the exhaust since I got the car. I'll have to look into that though, when I've got mre time.

Comment

I dont think its your exhaust. My cousin's Accord used to do that. It would come out like a ghost type of texture, or a breathe in cold weather, and it would seldomly do it. So, whenever it did do while we were driving, we kept making fun of it, 6th sense style, "I see dead people." Honestly, though, I have no idea if that was ever fixed, or if it was ever known what caused that.
            "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

I don't see anything, but it smells like exhaust.

Comment

My friends 68 Cougar used to leak into the cabin. That wasn't that fun. Maybe try running your hand around the floor while the car is on to feel for heat coming from the exhaust or something? Is your car starting to rust?
                2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

does your trunk leak by any chance?

Comment

Hey 2ndgens are bad about leaking at the flange right after the cat. When it leaks there exhaust gas comes right up through the shifter hole! If there is a leak here it becomes really loud too, even if its just a small leak. So just turn your car on, open up the door and lean out kinda looking under the car. Give it alittle gas and if you hear a sound like air rushing or a "put put" kinda sound then get that gasket replaced.
                    sigpic

Comment

This might be a silly suggestion but ...
                      does the smell resemble fuel fumes at all. If it does maybe you have a small leak of the cover on top of the fuel pump compartment.

or maybe you have a gap between your firewall and there is an exhaust leak near the engine bay. If it were an exhaust leak you would know it right away by the irritating sound though.

Hope you find the problem.
                      ED
                      '05 6s 3.0L MT & '98 Pro DX 1.5L AT

Mazda Enthusiast Club Member
                      Click for my CarDomain page

2nd Gen Protege Parts Catalog project in progress
                      WTB: Gray 97/98 Protege Cupholder and Door Trim

Comment

Originally posted by pigeon
                        does your trunk leak by any chance?
                        Not that I'm aware of.

Charles: there's a little bit of surface rust in some unnoticable spots, other than that no.

Comment

Problem with 2ndgens is there are little holes all under the car where exhaust can get in!
                          sigpic

Comment

My 98 has the same problem. I haven't been able to find a hole, but I'm guessing it's the flexpipe/down pipe area. The exh mani looks good, and I can't see a hole in the catback, but I'm no expert. I'm just gonna get the whole thing replaced.
                            Thanks for noticing me
                            Alpha pro- 02 MP5, bling free
                            Beta Pro- 98 pro es, aka slowburn

Comment

Working...
                            X