Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CAI ? i know it's posted but...

I have a 1998 1.5 liter pro

I am looking for a cai that doesn't need to be modified to work on it. I have some couplers and stuff like that for different throttle body sizes...i just need the pipes bent the correct way and everything...

can someone link me to where I can buy what I need for this? I saw an ebay (i hate using ebay tho) link in a thread but the item was already sold anyway...

it'd be great if you guys could help me out, and i'm sorry to post a question that's been answered before, but the thread was so long I was kind of confused. thanks

you could go to an exhaust place near you. My friend works at a local meineike(sp?) and i brought him my stock intake and he bent a peice of 2 1/2" tubing to fit. i just had to trim it a bit. I'm sure somewhere around you would be willing to do something similar and not for too much money. and if you want the shinyness of alot of intakes, just get some sandpaper and a buffing wheel, and it'll look good

Mods:
    JDM Headlights + Corners
    JDM Tailights
    1st Gen LX Black Wheels
    Shaved Side Mouldings
    Second hand 'High-Flow' Muffler
    Cone Filter
    KYB GR-2's + Perf Lowering Springs
    E-Bay front strut bar
    Gauge cluster swap w/ Tach + Indiglo gauges
    40% Tint on side windows, 20% on rear
    and the best custom 3rd brake light overlay...'ZOOM'

Comment

thats a good idea, i was checking the acura intake or something? supposedly there's no bending on that one right? just need a coupler to make it fit the 1.5? what year acura intake? am i right on this?

Comment

Another alternative is to buy aluminized steel mandrel-bent tubing from J.C. Whitney. It's available in 45 and 90 deg elbows in various diameters. Check it out at www.jcwhitney.com

Happy Motoring!
        02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
        MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
        MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
        Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
        MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
        Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
        Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
        Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
        Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
        Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
        Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
        Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
        Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

everyone says that but nobody has posted EXACTLY what parts you need to buy. This is my problem, everyone always has tons of crazy solutions that PROBABLY will work, but nobody tells me, yea i've done this with mine, here's the parts you need blah blah...i know that acura integra intake supposedly works, but i'm not sure what has to be done to get it to work or what year you need.

Comment

That's all right, you don't have to thank me. Virtue is its own reward. I guess you'll just have to do a search after all, even if it's confusing for you. Poor guy.

Happy Motoring!
            02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
            MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
            MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
            Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
            MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
            Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
            Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
            Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
            Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
            Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
            Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
            Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
            Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Originally posted by dreamcastninja
              everyone says that but nobody has posted EXACTLY what parts you need to buy. This is my problem, everyone always has tons of crazy solutions that PROBABLY will work, but nobody tells me, yea i've done this with mine, here's the parts you need blah blah...i know that acura integra intake supposedly works, but i'm not sure what has to be done to get it to work or what year you need.
              chill out and be patient

i plan on doing a how-to when my damn intake arrives.

I'm STILL waiting for the a-hole who f'ed up my intake order to deliver the right one. It apparently shipped monday so i'll hopefully get it tommorrow or monday or tuesday at hte latest.

And it isnt' hard to figure out yourself. You can rent a pipe cutter from autozone for 15 bux (u get money back when u return it) and u just cut the pipe where you want it. LInk it all together with couplers and pow whack u've got a super cheap, functioning CAI
              93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
              02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
              05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by dreamcastninja

Part of it is practice or experience, you have to get under your hood, look at the stock intake, to you understand the route that it takes? do you see the throttle body? can you imagine what an aftermarket intake will look like in it's place? measure things, play around with things. That's how I learned what I know, by getting my hands dirty, trial and error, until I found something that works. I've actually put a few different intakes in my p5, but because htey didn't fit right, or rubbed or rattled, I just put the stock pipe back in, but I put a huge cone filter on the end, workes better than an air box, but it's still not perfect, but I have a better understanding of what I want done, and I am exploring ideas on how to get what i want.
                  Thanks for noticing me
                  Alpha pro- 02 MP5, bling free
                  Beta Pro- 98 pro es, aka slowburn

Comment

yea thats what I have now too, i've got the acura integra one off ebay comming, so hopefully that one works good should be here in a few days

Comment

heres a few ideas for you just like was said earlier you just gotta "tear" things apart and figure out how they work and then put things together this is a GHETTO set up its an accord intake that i hacksawed to death to make fit and it works pretty dang good if i do say so myself just get out there and mess around with stuff until you get what you want:D
                      peace
                      dante

2008 Mazda 6i Sport
                      1990 Mazda Protege 4WD
                      1999 Nissan Altima SE-L

Comment

on that one where you connect the pipe all the way to the bottom pipe that comes up from the bottom of the engine bay or something... where does the air filter go?

which setup works better in your opinion? i hope they send me the correct intake, i know gro had a prob with them b4.

Comment

With a setup like the one shown in the pics, you have two options for positioning the filter.

The first is to have the filter just hang in the open at the end of the pipe. You just have to make sure it doesn't hang too low underneath the car. You'll also want to keep it away from the rad fans blowing hot air directly at it. As long as you still have your plastic mud guards in place, you shouldn't have to worry about it sucking up too much crap/water/etc. The downside to this method is that the filter is still in the engine bay and thus picks up hot air unless you devise a way to feed it colder air.

The best way is the second way but it involves alot more work. You remove the bumper and get rid of the white plastic airbox hidden under the driver's headlight. This is the part that someone posted a pic of in another intake thread (I think it was andym323). Once that s#!t is gone, there's plenty of room to stick the filter. If you want, you can try to seal the area where the filter is off from the engine bay and cut holes in either your bumper or the platic mud guards underneath the filter to make it a true cold air intake. You're probably wondering what I'm talking about but when you remove the bumper, you'll see it right away.

I spent a Saturday some time ago removing the bumper and the intake parts to figure out exactly what I was going to do with mine. It seems to me that having the filter outside the engine bay is by far the best way to go and it's exactly what I'll be doing. I got some mild steel piping in 2.5" and have been cutting pie cuts and mig welding everything together bit by bit as I get a chance to work on it. It's gonna' be ghetto, but I'm sure I'll feel a diff..
                          1998 Mazda BHALP SE - Rain Forest Green Mica

Pacesetter short shifter ; Depo tails (thanks beetle_orange) ; Custom CAI nearing completion ; CF hood on the way ; Brembo blanks & KVR pads to be inst. (thanks Pigeon) ; Goodridge brake lines to be inst. ;

Much more to come...

Comment

R1 aint that good but they make one for the 1.8 so that might fit

Comment

I wouldnt worrie about ebay over 20 bucks.

THey got PLENTY of CAI's for your ride on there, Grab one install it,Thats it thats all. I know a bunch of peiople with ebay intakes, they get pretty much the same thing as a AEM but at much less the cost. and its under 20$.

These guys have bent out a intake for your car already, save yourself some time.

Last edited by Rac3rX; 09-09-2005, 11:30 AM.

My Cardomain Page
                              Injen CAI / Tsudo 4-1 Headers / Axle Back Exhaust / Nology Hotwires
                              Denso Iridium Plugs / ADR Sokudo 17's
                              on Pirelli P-ZERO Rossa 225/45/17

Comment

Working...
                              X