most common wrench sizes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

most common wrench sizes.

I'm trying to get a separate tool kit together for when I go junkyarding.
    Just wondering what are the most common sizes you all deal with on a regular basis??
    The only ones I can think of ATM are 10, 12, 14, and 17mm
    Anything else??
    I'm not even sure about 17 mm.
    But specifically this weekend I'm hoping to procure a strut, spring and strut mount assembly. Anyone know offhand what size the bolts are that hold the strut into the hub assembly ****??
    Anything else I should know about before trying to jack one of these off?? Like bring a big ****in hammer and a prybar for example??
    Thanks.
    Ryan The middle child is always ignored
    BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
    Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

I use the 17mm when taking of the seatbelt bolts and chair bolts of the car.
    Several little 8mm bolts are on the bumper/wheel well area.

Besides the 8mm you've listed all of the ones I've used while taking apart several exterior/interior parts of the 2nd gen pro.
    Last edited by loganss; 03-07-2006, 03:08 PM.
    ED
    '05 6s 3.0L MT & '98 Pro DX 1.5L AT

Mazda Enthusiast Club Member
    Click for my CarDomain page

2nd Gen Protege Parts Catalog project in progress
    WTB: Gray 97/98 Protege Cupholder and Door Trim

Comment

bring 10mm 12mm 14mm 17mm 19mm wrench
      also bring the same for a 1/2 inch and 3/8 inch ratchet
      bring a 2 inch 1/2 inch and 3/8 inch extension
      bring a 24 inch L handle
      some phillips and flat screw drivers as well as some pliers... and you should be set!

Comment

7-17mm, that way youve got all your bases covered.

I picked up a cheap 9-17mm set at the autoparts store for ten bucks, thats what i use for my jy runs. Then I just add the random 7 and 8mm i have around. You never know what you might find on another car, so keep your bases covered.

to pry stuff off, i always use a craftsman 3/8" with whatever mm socket, and a 4 foot pipe on the end of it. it has yet to break it (and i have put all my weight on the 4 foot pipe), but if it does, free replacement. i have broken a cheapo one using this method before though.
        Last edited by StealthStyle; 03-07-2006, 11:00 PM.

Comment

You'll definately need 17mm for the struts. The 2 big ones are 17mm. There may be a 19mm in there somewhere, but you may not need that at the junkyard.
          2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys.
            I have some extra wrenches laying around, but I'll have to supplement my junkyarding kit with the extra sockets etc.
            Ryan The middle child is always ignored
            BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
            Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Working...
            X