msd ignition...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

msd ignition...

Say I want to hook up an MSD ignition to my pro. Does it come with the wiring? i doubt they make a harness, anyone know where it goes? The coil and what distributor wires? any info on this in general would be appreciated.

Can we even get the MSD Ignitions for our cars? I know we can get the blaster ss coils and dizzy cap but I heard ignitions were make and modle specific.
    MY CARDOMAIN LINK

STOLEN 09/28/2007

Comment

nope, they do sell harnesses to make it easier to install, but i have not seen an ignition from msd that is application specific.

Comment

Well I tried buying one before and we were hooking it up and the shop said they couyldnt do it because it was for another car and this was an msd dealer.....
        MY CARDOMAIN LINK

STOLEN 09/28/2007

Comment

Ok strutman did a search and it shows you were right and I was bs'd at the dealer where i was gonna get one.

It says on their site all wiring is included as well as detailed instructions. The price on the ones for our car is $320 it adds more power and in some case better mpg's.

go to MSD Website Link HERE and look at the 6A series. It is the 6200 you want.
          MY CARDOMAIN LINK

STOLEN 09/28/2007

Comment

95protege, did you get an MSD 6AL, if so by any chance do you still have it?

1996 1.5L Mazda Protege DX MTX
            Mods:
            DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.
            http://www.cardomain.com/id/beetle_orange

Comment

yea their website price is jacked though. i can get the 6a series one around here for 150-180 dollars.

do you guys think it'd be worth it since im going turbo and have the walbro 255 in there?

i figure i'll save up and buy it, then figure out how it goes in once i have the instructions.

Comment

Originally posted by beetle_orange
                95protege, did you get an MSD 6AL, if so by any chance do you still have it?
                Nah beetle the one i was buying was a 6200 like on the site there. I didnt get it tho because they claimed it wouldnt work on my car...Asshats at the tunershop....

I can call a buddy of mine that bought the 62al for his accord and see if he used it or not. Last I heard from him he was selling the car so he wasnt sure if he was gonna use it or sell it...
                MY CARDOMAIN LINK

STOLEN 09/28/2007

Comment

Strutman thats the msrp on them so you gotta figure cost on one is $225-250 so if you find a shop with one from $150-200 you better buy it cause they are losing money on that deal...

Not very logical but hey im not sure how eager they are to give away money where your from lol....
                  MY CARDOMAIN LINK

STOLEN 09/28/2007

Comment

95protege, let me know if your friend still has the 6AL

1996 1.5L Mazda Protege DX MTX
                    Mods:
                    DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.
                    http://www.cardomain.com/id/beetle_orange

Comment

Heh, the MSD is POSSIBLE. You will need a new coil and the MSD 6Al box to achieve the best results. The problem with the 2nd gen is that the coil is an internal coil IN the distributor. Which means you have to OPEN the distributor and disconnect the wires going to the coil. And it's not liek a Honda where you take the cap off and boom, the wires are there in your face. I have been doing the MSD swap sine my Z5 days. The main problem you will have is getting to the coil wires. If you can get to the wires no problem and disconnect it, you should be good to go. Also, there's like no space for the box itself so you'll have fun trying to locate it. I have some info on the forum so do a search for it. The man who has experience with the distributor mod is Marcio. I know he's a busy man but he can probably give you some guidance or something. I still need to get my disty back from him and put the new coil and box on.

BTW, the reason they say its not going to work is because it has that internal coil. I had alot of **** about that so if you want to do it, you need to do the work yourself or a close friend because the shop would charge you well over 300 dollars and probably would say they can't do it!
                      Don't have a car anymore... cry with me

Comment

yeah i see now torped0 well msd here i come lol....ill call down there beetle and see....
                        MY CARDOMAIN LINK

STOLEN 09/28/2007

Comment

Do be careful. Marcio is the guy who had it successfully down. I have yet to receive my disty from Marcio cause I keep forgetting to talk to him lol. He's a good man and he knows his stuff. I got a different disty from the one he uses so its kind of different than what he did. Maybe its because i got the BP harness. Try talking to Marcio or I can get Marcio to try and post here.
                          Don't have a car anymore... cry with me

Comment

well how do you open the distributor to get to the coil? it can't be THAT hard if someone has done it before and can tell us how they did it.

Comment

Originally posted by Torped0
                              I have been doing the MSD swap sine my Z5 days.
                              So, is there any benefit at all to use an MSD ignition on a Z5?

Originally posted by strutman
                              well how do you open the distributor to get to the coil? it can't be THAT hard if someone has done it before and can tell us how they did it.
                              Do you own a Hayne's repair manual? I recall seeing an exploded-view diagram of the distributor in there, although I don't know how detailed the description is... I wasn't actually looking for that at the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X