Help on diagnosis ware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help on diagnosis ware

Well I was searching around the ebay and I saw those OBDII scan tools for PC's. Now I was questioning the shop that sells them and obviously my 1995 Protege isn't compliant to that. I don't have OBD connector anywhere in the cockpit but I have one connector under the hood and the lid on it says 'DIAGNOSIS'. It looks like OBD connector with those angled sides and everything. What's with that? Can I buy something that's compliant and for PC to have my DIY diagnosis set? Also I have found this link.

Thanks!
    Last edited by gybe; 09-30-2007, 04:37 PM.
    Garage: Mazda Protege 1995, Z5 engine, MTX, P/S, no A/C, no ABS.

PM me if you need: comprehensive Autodata information; Mazda's 2nd generation workshop manual; Mazda's Z5 overhaul workshop manual.

Your 95 Protege is OBD-II. The port under the dashboard is the connector for it. It is OBD-II, don't let anyone try to tell you otherwise. Some auto parts places like AutoZone will scan your car for free, and the port under the dash is the connector.

Comment

As I have said, I don't have any connectors under my dashoard. I only have a connector right under the hood, in a small box, right beside the power system module (where the main fuse is for example). And it says 'DIAGNOSIS' on the lid of this little box.

PM me if you need: comprehensive Autodata information; Mazda's 2nd generation workshop manual; Mazda's Z5 overhaul workshop manual.

Comment

The diagnosis box is visible right besides the battery and power system (right lower corner of the pic) right where the strut and shock cup is.

Comment

First picture is the Diagnosis port on my 96 Protege and on every other one I've looked at in the 95/96 year model. If yours looks like the one on my picture then it's NOT an OBDII port. The second picture shows a picture of the OBDII port/connnector on even 95's I have seen that were made in late 94. It is that other black plastic part you see directly to the right of the handle that opens the hood. I can only imagine that someone actually removed the OBDII port from inside the car or your car was one of the first 10 made or something before they had yet decided where it was going to be located. I can't guess or imagine any other reasons for it.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by mannydingo; 10-01-2007, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Okay, I have been under the dashboard few minutes ago ... it was pretty dark so I could see **** but I am wondering, if OBDII protocol is just for vehicles sold only in USA, coz I am from Europe, dudes. :D

I have spotted something plastic but it felt like fuses ... but let's say hypothetically that my car doesn't have OBDII compatibility... what does it have then? Is there something pre-OBDII and the tools are still available? I have noticed in my workshop manual that mazda has this NGS (or NSG, not sure) special servicing tool which is basically a scan tool, and it's T-shaped like almost any other OBD scan tool.

Comment

Ofcourse it makes a difference if you're in another country. I know for a fact that other countries(I didn't say all)don't use the OBDII system. That explains why you don't have it in your car. The old system is called OBDI, I think. It's a system of touching two probes together or plugging in a plug that makes the connection between two prongs. It starts making the check engine light (CEL) blink in different lenghts(like morse code) to give you the problem code. You didn't have the country in your profile when you posted your previous posts.

Comment

I have my country stated from the day I have registered. Mayve you just didn't look.

Hum... I was checking my workshop manual and everything they do in it is to plug the jumper wire between GND and other things like F/P (fuel pump) on that black box under the hood. And I am not even sure if my car has the engine light... I have never seen it in HUD.

Comment

Originally posted by gybe View Post
                  I have my country stated from the day I have registered. Mayve you just didn't look.

Hum... I was checking my workshop manual and everything they do in it is to plug the jumper wire between GND and other things like F/P (fuel pump) on that black box under the hood. And I am not even sure if my car has the engine light... I have never seen it in HUD.
                  You're right, I probably just didn't look. Anyway, it seems you don't have OBDII as mandatory in your country.

Comment

Okay I have come across this information in attachment. Anyone knows if the stated is true?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X