A/C implementation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C implementation

I was just wondering ... If I was to put an A/C system into my car, what are the chances on a 2nd gen Pro? I have heard that our cars have some things pre-installed so it is basically a re-bolt-on.

The thing is that I spotted a crashed Lantis that is selling out for parts and I was thinking to offer this guy a decent deal on the A/C. Now, how much money is a good deal on second-hand A/C?
    I was thinking of taking off everything - drier, condenser, lines, compressor, cooling unit. Is the cooling unit a stand-alone application so you just bolt it on between heater and blower on non-A/C car or is it a whole piece (heater, blower, cooler together)? Also is it safer to forget about the second-hand compressor and go for a remanufactured one?
    How much PITA involves disassembly?

Thank you very much.
    Garage: Mazda Protege 1995, Z5 engine, MTX, P/S, no A/C, no ABS.

PM me if you need: comprehensive Autodata information; Mazda's 2nd generation workshop manual; Mazda's Z5 overhaul workshop manual.

Now, how much money is a good deal on second-hand A/C?
    That question could only be answered by someone in your own country because a fair price given in, say, dollars, might translate to a too expensive price in Forint(if that's what it's called).

Is the cooling unit a stand-alone application so you just bolt it on between heater and blower on non-A/C car or is it a whole piece (heater,
    blower, cooler together)?
    What are you calling a "cooling unit"? I thought you were calling the compressor that until I saw you use the word compressor as something else later on in your message.

Also is it safer to forget about the second-hand compressor and go for a remanufactured one?
    If the compressor on the car was not damaged during the crash, it's fine to use that one. It would greatly reduce your expense. The only thing is that you should use new o-ring seals and have the freon put in by a shop that has a quality pump that not only fills up the system with the freon but that first extracts all air and moisture from the system before introducing any freon under pressure to the system. If you do it at home with the typical gauge & hose system that hangs from your hood, you're looking for a compressor that is not going to last too long. Compressors only want to compress freon and slowly get damaged compressing air and water. You can also have the compressor tested first to see if it works but I've never known who does that cheaply.

How much PITA involves disassembly?
    It sounds do-able but also like annoying work. If you need to buy the compressor, which is often the case in older cars, it could get expensive. Also, if the owner says the A/C didn't work, you now have the task of finding out if it was the compressor or a leak from a hose or other component. Also, if the compressor did fail, it is recommended the drier be changed because little bits from the damaged compressor made their way there and would damage the new/rebuilt compressor. Usually the other components are fine but check hoses really well due to the accident.

Hey! you never replied to my last PM about the console.

Thank you very much.
    Your welcome.
    Last edited by mannydingo; 03-02-2008, 11:31 AM.

Comment

The cooling unit is located under the dashboard and contains the A/C evaporator (small radiator). I am just asking if this is a single unit, if you understand me. If it's not then I'll have to take everything off.
      I also totally forgot about condenser fan.

As far as the price go, I am good at being the one that sets a price if I see that the owner doesn't have a clue what's he selling. I meant in general ... aroung 400-500 USD for everything together?

I think I'll call this guy tomorrow. You can't tell anything by the picture...

I'll answer your message today. I had an internet-free weekend, so...

PM me if you need: comprehensive Autodata information; Mazda's 2nd generation workshop manual; Mazda's Z5 overhaul workshop manual.

Comment

Originally posted by gybe View Post
        The cooling unit is located under the dashboard and contains the A/C evaporator (small radiator). I am just asking if this is a single unit, if you understand me.
        No, I still don't understand. Are you asking if the cooling unit is two parts being, one, the evaporator and, two, what other part? Or, are you asking if the evaporator is a separate part from the whole rest of the A/C system? If the evaporator is inside the car, it obviously has to be separate in order to be removed since you can't squeeze it through a hole in the firewall. There would have to be a way to just disconnect it. I don't mean to sound like a jerk. I think I'm just going through a brain fart on this one.

Oh, and scrap the Forint thing. I forgot it's not Hungary but Slovenia you live in. You guys use the Euro.
        Last edited by mannydingo; 03-03-2008, 12:43 AM.

Comment

No no, look you have got three basic units in a car that has A/C - heater unit for hot air, cooling unit for cold air and a blower (with housing). These are three units. I was just asking if I have to pull out the heater and blower too in case that my blower and heater aren't compatible with the cooling unit which means I won't be able to bolt it back on my car which came without A/C originally. That's why I was asking if this is a stand-alone unit (meaning you can pull it and just bolt it on your car). I don't want any interference and overlapping plastic flanges. I just wanna do it right, that's all.

As far as I noticed, I have relay clips behing the RH strut cup, but I am not sure whether I have pre-drilled holes on the firewall to connect the A/C piping to the cooling unit. Any ideas?

Comment

Working...
          X