In need of some information on a 1996 Protege 1.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In need of some information on a 1996 Protege 1.5

Hello. Sorry for any previous thread jacking, but I'm looking for parts on this car....most of which cannot be found. things like projector headlights (even though they are DIY) and trusted short rams are on the list. I've checked out corksport and noticed they dont make any parts for the 95-98 protege. Are any parts interchangeable from the other generations? Also, more legit sources for parts are greatly appreciated

Not much is straight up interchangeable. What are you looking for? For the most part, the best parts for these cars come from Japan, as Mazdaspeed dealer options. Also, there is a great deal more for the 1.8L models.

A short ram can be DIY'd very easily with some aluminum piping and couplers from Vibrant, and the air filter of your choosing. There is plenty of room to route a cold air intake as well (better idea, on these cars IMO) when you remove the factory intake tract.

Comment

One part that I was looking at are some headers. But of course, it is manufactured for the 1.8 engine. I'm simply searching for some malleability in this engine for my to be satisfied with it as a daily driver.

As for a CAI, I would definitely look into some for the engine if they are still being produced. Also, have u ever heard any feedback on ground control coilovers? im giving it some thought and would like some thoughts as well

Comment

Headers for the 1.5L will probably need to be DIY'd as I haven't found any. You can upgrade the brakes by using Protege ES (1.8L) knuckles/spindles, calipers and rotors. If you choose to do the brake swap, go to Corksport and get the stainless steel brake lines for the 1990-1994 Protege as they're an upgrade over the stock rubber lines. The ES also came with a rear sway bar, so grabbing the bar, end links and mounting brackets (as well as new bushings) will help as well. AWR makes 19mm and 21.5mm rear sway bars for the third generation Protege that can be used on your car, which would be a huge upgrade over the dinky stock bar. I'm saving for a 21.5mm bar. I DIY'd my CAI with Spectre intake pieces from Autozone, but it's 3" diameter where 2.5" would be ideal. Still works, though. Grab the Mazdaspeed strutbar for sale here, as well. I love mine, and haven't taken it off since I got it. Cusco made lower arm tie bars for the third generation Protege which can be used on our cars as well. Not exactly sure where you'll find one, but it would be a worthwhile investment. I found a cat-back exhaust system online for the 1.8L somewhere, but I can't find it again. The exhaust system after to catalytic converter should be the same between the 1.5L and 1.8 L models, so a 1.8L cat-back is something to look into as well. Or you can just have a local shop make one up. I'd say 2"-2.25" diameter should be good for these cars, no larger than that. JDM bumpers are the way to go with these cars. The body kits available are horrendous. Projector headlights require JDM headlight lenses, unless you can get clear lenses made up at a shop somewhere. Problem is, the JDM lights are only made for the facelifted 1997-1998 models, so you'd have to change the lights, fenders and grille to make it work. If you go that route, get the JDM turn signals and JDM tail lights as well. In my opinion, though, the rear trunk garnish should be swapped for a 1997-1998 piece to match the JDM tail lights. I don't know if you're car is automatic or manual, but if it's the 5-speed you can get bronze shifted bushings that will take the slop out of the shifter. These are available at Corksport or online somewhere else for a bit cheaper. Also, if it's manual, Corksport offers a stainless steel clutch line for the 1990-1994 Protege which can be used on your car, as well.

That's all I can think of right now. If you need any clarification or anything, just ask. If I think of anything else I'll post it up, but I think I covered everything I know of.
        Last edited by irishkev90; 06-28-2012, 03:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X