Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wierd Charging System Problem !!!

I have a '00 Fed Emissions 1.6L

I've recently had a problem with bucking and hesitation on the highway, which is still yet to be determined......No CEL's and there appear to be no vacuum leaks, new MAF on the car

Then today I had this.....

While cruising at about 3000 RPMS ,it started to hesitate, then the blower fan for the A/C suddenly got louder, then the Battery Light came on......It didnt stop until I brought the car to a stop...

Battery Checked out fine, belts appear to be ok, alternator was tested ON the car, appears to be charging fine, however wasnt bench tested

Break out your trusty multimeter/ voltmeter hook it up and have someone monitor it while you drive.

When on voltage ususally hangs around 13.2-13.8 volts. If it does anything wierd get back to us.

Other then that I got nothin. Anyone have a quick fix for this?

Comment

Originally posted by zerocover
      Break out your trusty multimeter/ voltmeter hook it up and have someone monitor it while you drive.

When on voltage ususally hangs around 13.2-13.8 volts. If it does anything wierd get back to us.

Other then that I got nothin. Anyone have a quick fix for this?

How do you propose I keep a multimeter hooked up while I drive ???

Comment

Anywhere, I used alligator clips!

Comment

after further research....the FSM shows many reasons for a charging system light, but they all point to the same problem....

bad or dirty IAT(part of the MAF)

or

bad alternator

or

slipping or missing belt

.....I may replace the belt anyway, as it NEVER hass been replaced the life of the car, and I'd probably get a new one if I need a new alternator anyway

Comment

Originally posted by TheMAN
            the 1.6 has the IAT built into the MAF... the 1.6 also has a ****ty MAF design.... warranties have been extended on the MAF due to this issue... replace the **** with a BRAND NEW MAF... don't be a dumbass like many others and buy a junk yard one which is the same piece of **** you have right now!

your symptoms are pretty indicative of a MAF problem... also from what I heard, the IAT is used to "guess" the battery's temperature so that the correct charge voltage can be regulated (off the ECU)
            Actually it was a bad alternator

It was overcharging...I read more in FSM and it made perfect sense...system throws a charge light if it senses more than like 15 volts for 5 seconds.....rev it up, lights brightened a LOT,count 1,2,3,4,5 BAM !! Charge light.....

New alternator...running like a champ

Comment

Working...
            X