straight pipes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

straight pipes?

So, a buddy of mine has a Dodge Neon with straight pipes, that is, muffler-less pipes after the catalytic converter. I was thinking of doing the same thing, but before I jump in with both feet i was wondering what the effects of this are (besides being fairly loud) are there are detrimental effects on the engine? Does it cause the check engine light to come on? Will it cause my car to fail emissions?

thanks.
    The handling of a Miata, stuffed into a Protege

loose back pressure fast.
    My Toys =D

Comment

Dont listen to anyone that brings up back pressure as a good thing, they have no idea how engines work.

Strait pipes involve no cats, but other then that running no mufflers is a good idea. The cats make you pass emissions not the exhaust. Aside from being loud, and it will be very loud. Its going to sound amazing we've had a few people do it already. Car sounds almost evil. You will get the occasional pop and crackle but thats a good thing. No real power gains maybe 4-5 hp, but then again upgrading from our 2.25" exhaust is hard. One thing to be aware of is we get a drone on the highway. It drives some people insane but others like me dont mind it.

Comment

I had planned on adding a header, I hear that anything from the 2.0 will fit. I believe that when I get around to buying this is when I'll have muffler-less pipes made up. I have to retain the catalytic converters due to the emissions standards in my area.
        The handling of a Miata, stuffed into a Protege

Comment

With a header youll drone like a mofo. Bring ear plugs!

PS a header removes your close coupled cat unless its a wagner shorty which is discontinued. You still have the other cat which is fine and youll pass emissions anyway.

Comment

Working...
          X