Protege turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protege turbo

Hi I'm a new member, and have some questions about turbocharging my 2-liter 2002 protege lx. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or comments about doing this. Also, i was wondering if I would be able to put on a mazdaspeed protege turbo kit onto mine, and what quality engine managment systems to use (would it be pretty much direct bolt on??, what tuning is needed??, etc.??). Any help is appreciated thanks!!

gt47-88

Comment

just last weekend I converted a protege5 (same 2.0l engine as your LX) to a mazdaspeed turbo.

It's mostly direct bolt on. You'll need the following:

- mazdaspeed protege manifold, turbo and S-Pipe
      - mazdaspeed protege side mount intercooler, radiator, associated fans and all intake piping + OEM Bypass Valve.

you'll also need to get coolant and oil in and out of the turbo. you can use a 1/8 brass pipe T-fitting on the oil pressure sensor input, pu the sensor in one side of the T fitting, and a 1/8 to 1/4 female fitting on the other so you can put in a 1/4 flare metal brake line from there to directly in the turbo.

you'll need to modify the oil pan to put in a port for oil return. My cousin is a machinist and made this port for me. any good machine shop can do this for you.

for coolant, you can order the original mazdaspeed line from the back of the engine that goes to the front near the turbo, and use about 6 inches of coolant hose to fill the gap between that line and the turbo line. that's how it is on the OEM setup. the return can be sent with a T thru the small 5/16 line on top of the water bypass housing, just on top of where the engine meets the tranny.

if you plug this all up as is, you will have a check engine light due to the lack of a cat between the two 02 sensors. You can use the spark plug non-fouler trick: get part number 730-2442 from Napa, take one of the two non foulers, and drill it thru with a 1/2 drill bit. The downstream O2 sensor needs to go thru there. Then screw the sensor into this drilled non-fouler, and then screw the other non-fouler over it, and screw the whole assembly in place in the J-pipe.

with this setup, you need only to swap the mazdaspeed ecu in place of your own.

with this you should be good to go, but beware, this is a very summary explanation, and it's a lot tougher than it seems.

Comment

Working...
      X