Rod bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rod bearings

Hi, I'm new to this forum so I was hoping you guys could bare with me. My car is a 2002 protege 5 and the warranty went two months ago. Here's what happened. I get a knocking sound between 2500 to 3500 when I let go of the gas. I isolated the cylinders by pulling the spark plug wires and found # 4 cyl is the noisey one.

I've changed connecting rod bearings before but I can't find a manual online that covers this part of the engine. The Mazda service manual I found only covers up to the cyl. head.

If any of you guys have had this probem and know a easy way to fix it or have any advice, pls let me know. I'm going to start tommorow.

**** this, Mazda won't even bother tearing the engine down to fix it. They just replace the whole thing. What does this mean? It means you won't find any torques on the inside of the engine. I talked to some wreckers and they told me it's a chronic problem with the 2.0l engine.

I doubt I'll get a response but if you guys can help, let me know.

Comment

You either have a rod knock or a piston slap... I'm hoping to torqued the rod cap back when you put it back.

I can look up the torque at work tomorrow if you need it. But if it's your rod knocking there might be some bad damage to the crank too.

If it's a collapsed piston that's causing your slap you're gonna have to pull the head off and pull the piston.

See if you find out what problem it is before doing any tear downs...

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
      Member of MX-3.com
      1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
      1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Comment

The torque specs for the bottom end of the FS motor is in a seperate supplemental service manual specifically for the engine. There is also a supplemental manual for the transmission. I have both manuals, but they are at my garage so it might be a day or two before I can get you the info. If the problem ends up being a rod bearing you will need to pull the motor out of the car. You can't change the #4 rod bearing through the oil pan.

Comment

Rod bolts: 16-19ft/lbs, then turn the nut another 90 degrees.

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
          Member of MX-3.com
          1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
          1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Comment

Working...
          X