X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Me With My 1.6!

I need help on puttin up the horses on my
    2000 Dx Protege.
    I know how to begin ill have to get an intake, new headers, and a different exhaust.
    I want to turbocharge my engine also.
    Thing is I keep hearing that I should swap my 1.6 out for the 2.0 because it will be alot easier to tune, because they are supposedly more parts for it.
    What should I do.
    A. Keep my stock engine.
    B. Swap it out.
    "I can do it, just give me Time, Money, and Experience =)"

dont think 1.6 isnt good. (its the best) :D

yo bro,
    i have a 1.6 aswell and have been told by many that our cars are the best for turbocharging out of the 1.8 and 2.0 beacause of the strong rods or somethin along those lines.
    now in my opinion keep the engine and do a custom turbo. this is what im gonna do with my car in the next yr or so.
    im gonna start buying the turbo parts for the car slowly and hopefully in a yrs time ill have everything i need to do the install.
    with installing, i suggest you do alot of reading and researching on how to turbo a car. there are heaps of threads on forums about turboing a car.
    so......learn, research, buy parts, and then install.
    or if u have any friends good with car they can help you.
    with headers full exhaust system and cai bro really...ive got it on my car.
    to tell you the truth its not really worth it. i would save that money for the future when u turbo ur car. our 1.6 n/a is very weak. but once its boosted i heard guys say its like its opened up. lol

y swap for a 1.8 or 2.0? when if you do it, u have to mod the engine anyways...lol. big waste of time and money.

cheers

Comment

Thanks Bro!
      You reaffirmed my beliefs in my 1.6 haha.
      Yeah I was goin to slowly start buyin the parts also for my turbocharger.
      My friend has a turbo he says will fit, he has three different cars he is working on. He knows alot on how to turbo cars, he agreed with me to turbo my whip, or else swap it out. Im tryin to at least get 200 Hp out of my 1.6 for now.
      Best of all, I got To UTI so Eventually Ill learn how to customize a turbo, and fit it on to my whipski.
      Thats true it is a waste of money, I heard of these guys that take 1.6 liter mazda Engines and throw 20 pound turbos on them...they only blew one so far.
      lol

Comment

For $ 4000 you have a custom build ready to fit turbo kit, just don't remember the site anymore *sorry*

Comment

Oh yeah I know that site already. Its http://mazda3online.web.aplus.net/pr...roducts_id=104
          I saw that yesterday...But I dont have 4000 haha. Ill probably just do the easier mods first to get them out the way, and keep on top of the bimonthly maintenance and things of that nature. Other than that, for now I just need an intake, headers and a good exhaust, because my exhaust is bit screwed up.
          I have a hole somewhere in it.

Comment

OK so I dont have an exhaust leak at all...its just that my exhaust is loose and it rattles..
            ill have to tighten it haha.

Comment

The 1.6 is a boost god. 20psi is for chumps the zm can make 30 more fun.

Do the research there are alot of mods you can do, and get real power. look up the zl-ve for 7500 rpm fun and vvt (same engine diffrent head).

One guy is running a hillclimb zm that puts down 25 psi @ redline.

Comment

Originally posted by zerocover View Post
                The 1.6 is a boost god. 20psi is for chumps the zm can make 30 more fun.

Do the research there are alot of mods you can do, and get real power. look up the zl-ve for 7500 rpm fun and vvt (same engine diffrent head).

One guy is running a hillclimb zm that puts down 25 psi @ redline.

What person is running with 25 PSI? Do they have a lot of engine and tranny work done? What engine management do you need to control the VVT of the ZL-VE?

Comment

it would probhably be possible to run 25psi on stock internals but dont expect it to last long.
                  if you were to run that high i would think it would only be now and again even if you have done engine work.
                  maybe more safe to run 15-20 psi as daily drive but with heavy engine mods?
                  and with the ecu i would be thinking of getting a standalone ecu.
                  it would be much better then the piggy backs if you were to do a custom turbo.

Comment

ok so i keep hearing about how well a 1.6 can handle boost. i got a 2001 dx 1.6 and was wondering if that was the same 1.6 as this infamous high boost 1.6. i know that some companies make more than one engine for one car and i just need to know if there was only one 1.6 engine made or is there like a 1.6e or something of the sort.

thanks

Comment

As far as I know, only 1.6 liter engine exists, for the Protege at least. There is also one for the Miata, but that only applies to 2nd gen models (I believe). As far as the 1.6 and boosting, daily driver with no tranny work, strictly stock, no more than 8 PSI on an auto. With moderate work and an tranny cooler, maybe no more than 15 PSI. Not sure how high you can go after that with engine work. Im TRYING to save up for the HiBoost unit because I heard its top notch and completely bolt on, ready to go. Im still trying to find out how to get my hands on the ZL-VE head and a way to control the VVT.

Comment

yeah, all the proteges have the same 1.6. the hiboost kit is really good if you can afford it. their website is www.hiboost.com

Comment

Working...
                        X