Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

California/ULEV vs. Federal

Hello, All:

I have a 1999 Mazda Protege DX. The car is equipped with the 1.6L ZM-DE engine and is California Certified as an Ultra-Low Emissions Vehicle (ULEV). Where I am, such extraneous emissions controls are unnecessary. I know that the difference in Peak Horsepower/Torque Output between the two versions is infinitesimal at best (105/107 Std vs. 103/106 ULEV). However, I'm really not impressed with how this motor runs both "off-the-line" and at "around-town" engine speeds.

So I find myself wondering exactly what would be involved in the"Federalization" of this particular motor. I know that the ULEV car runs a four-piece exhaust system featuring two Catalytic Convertors. In contrast, my information shows that there is a three-piece system with one convertor on the standard version. (Note: I've read on some boards that certain people have stated that ALL 1999-2000 1.6L models have two convertors. I'm not sure how true this is. It's contrary to what I've seen.)

I started to dig further to see what other differences there were. The most obvious is the Variable Tumble Control System (VTCS). I do NOT have individual part numbers for the VTCS Solenoid, Delay Valve, Shutter Valve Actuator, Actuator Rod or Vacuum Chamber. These components do, however, all appear to be part of the ULEV-equipped Intake Manifold (P/N: ZM0313100C).

As far as connectivity is concerned, it appears that power is supplied to the circuit (VTCS Solenoid Valve Connector Terminal A and Main Relay Connector Terminal D) through a common connector. The system applies a ground to the circuit on VTCS Solenoid Valve Connector Terminal B from the Engine Control Module (ECM) on [/b]Connector Terminal 19.

Accoring to the wiring information I have, the VTCS Solenoid shares its power supply lead with the EGR Boost Solenoid Valve, PRC Solenoid Valve, Purge Solenoid Valve, EGR Solenoid Valve, Canister Drain Cut Valve and the Vehicle Speed Sensor. All of these components appear to draw power from the main relay, but they receive their respective grounds from different pin assignments off the ECU.

Upon further examination, I was able to dig up the following component differences:

Front Oxygen Sensor:
    ZM0118861A9U (Federal)
    ZM0318861A9U (California)

Rear Oxygen Sensor:
    ZM0218861A9U (Universal)

Intake Manifold:
    ZM0113100B (Manual/Federal)
    ZM0213100B (Auto/Federal)
    ZM0313100C (Auto/Manual/California)

Intake Manifold Plenum:
    FP4713130A (Universal)

Engine Control Module:
    ZM0118881R0C (Manual/Federal)
    ZM0318881C (Manual/California)
    ZM0218881R0E (Auto/Federal)
    ZM0418881R0E (Auto/California)

So here's what I'm wondering: Does anyone know of any other significant differences in engine components, the exhaust system or powertrain management? Is it possible (or feasible) to replace the lower Intake Manifold, ECU and Exhaust Midsection? Could one then cap or bypass the wiring that once led to the VTCS Solenoid and swap the primary Oxygen Sensor for the Federal unit? Will that accomplish my goal, or is there more to this than I'm seeing?

Any constructive input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

AD

PS: While we're at it, the FAQ indicates that the European/U.S.-Spec ZM-DE and Japanese-Spec ZL-DE engines have identical Camshaft dimensions. Is this really true? Does anyone know what the Combustion Chamber Volume might be on either of these engines? Just curious.
Working...
X