Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What engine to swap into a 2000 lx protege?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What engine to swap into a 2000 lx protege?

in the future im planning on swaping my engine and i was whundering what engine to put in it? i was thinking of maby a mazda speed engine but im not sure anyone have any ideas?

Klze

Jack.
    -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

KL ZE ^ Unless you need to pass emissions then any 96+ DE will swap right in. Direct bolt in with all the right parts. Mazda even included the studs to bolt in the V6 mount brackets.

The msp engine is a stock 2.0 FSDE besides an aftermarket turbo kit.

Comment

Originally posted by ls six View Post
        KL ZE ^ Unless you need to pass emissions then any 96+ DE will swap right in. Direct bolt in with all the right parts. Mazda even included the studs to bolt in the V6 mount brackets.

The msp engine is a stock 2.0 FSDE besides an aftermarket turbo kit.
        What should be needed, apart from the engine/trans?
        sigpic My cardomain

Comment

Sr20
          I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
          |.....Overnight....................| ||
          |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
          |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
          "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
          Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

Originally posted by edumspeed View Post
            What should be needed, apart from the engine/trans?

Motor/trans mounts + the bracket for the passenger side mount atleast.

Wiring harness+ ECU. If you go for thee ZE motor an OBD I DE harness+ DE or ZE ECU and maf can be used with or with out a chip.

Get all the accesories if you pull a DE or pull the accesories alone since your ZE comes stripped.

I'm not sure if FS axels will swap so get those too.

Try to do as much maintinance work as you can when the motors are out.

Check the steering rack for leaks, replace the boots if needed, check the new motor for leaks and fix, replace rear main seal on engine, check trans for leaks /dammage, replace shifter bushings and stabilizer rod bushings. Replace clutch unless it's basicaly brand new.

rebuild/replace axels. Do the timing belt and check and replace or modify the tensioner. Check and replace valve cover gaskets if they leak.

Fresh motor mounts are a good idea mazda sells firmer mazdaspeed mounts and other people sell inserts or fabbed front and rear mounts.

Of course new fluids all around. And dont forget the headers and Y pipe. Your stock or protege aftermarket exhaust will be a close fit but it will likely need some work to fit right.
            Last edited by ls six; 05-31-2008, 02:13 PM.

Comment

This is a 6 cylinder?

Sorry,
              Still learning the lingo on these cars. This is a 6 cylinder? 2.5 liter?
              Eric

Comment

Originally posted by fastwagon View Post
                Sorry,
                Still learning the lingo on these cars. This is a 6 cylinder? 2.5 liter?
                Eric
                Yep.

This is pretty accurate. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_K_engine

And heres one of my favorite built KL's. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-haNfUNJKWI
                Last edited by ls six; 06-03-2008, 10:38 PM.

Comment

weight difference

So what's the difference in weight, four vs. six? -- I want to handle and I love the car's responses now on standard suspension. How much more weight on the front axle with the bigger engine?
                  Regards,
                  Eric

Comment

Not much. It's all aluminum.

I think the difference between a 4cyl mx6 and a V6 comes out to about 40 pounds. Most V6's had leather and most power options while 4cyls didnt so the V6's tend to be 100+ lbs heavier in the real world.

Comment

why the DE motor? what about the probe gt motor? any difference?
                      02 Protege ES, 5spd

Comment

Originally posted by protozoom View Post
                        why the DE motor? what about the probe gt motor? any difference?
                        The PGT uses the same motor. The transmission uses a lower final drive to compensate for the exra weight and bigger wheels. So in an N/A application it would improve acceleration a bit.

A JDM KL-ZE has about 40 extra HP (197 vs 160) if set up correctly. Look for the straight neck and beware of fakes.

Comment

Working...
                        X