Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine check light - EGR Problem?

Hey guys,

Just registered here and unfortunately the reason isnt too great. Im not too savvy about engine knowledge so just bear with me if I come off as an idiot.

Ive been having a few problems with my car and was hoping someone could give me some advice.

First, my ride became really bumpy and the car would start vibrating when going over 100km/h. I had aftermarket shocks from a couple of years ago so I switched back to my stock ones.

A check engine light came on and I got it checked by a local mechanic (bad choice I guess), and he said nothing was wrong. Being an idiot, I kept driving. Then last week while driving down the highway, my car overheated and I had smoke come out of it. Pulled over, got the car towed to a shop to get it checked. Apparently the cooling liquid mixed with oil in the engine due to a head gasket malfunction (blow up?). The engined had to be "machined" to get all the valves functioning properly again and the head gasket fixed.

Now I brought the car home and while driving the light has come on again. I didnt even get to drive to over a 100 so I cant tell if that problem still exists. This time the mechanic says there is a problem with the EGR. From my research on wikipedia I cant really tell if its a big deal or not and if it is in fact the root cause of all my problems.

Ive spent $1500+ so far on this car, which by the way is a 2000 1.8l Protege, and I dont want to drain anymore money in for no reason.

Any help is appreciated.

Find out what the error code was when you had the check engine light. Generally emission problems won't cause too much trouble. Take your car to autozone or advance where they can read the OBDII for you FREE and tell you the engine code. A common problem is for the EGR valve to show excessive flow. The real problem when it shows a P0421 is a build up of carbon on the EGR pipe where it connects to the intake manifold. All you have to do is remove the throttle body and EGR valve, then clean the opening with carburetor cleaner and a small screwdriver.

Comment

Working...
    X