5 Speed upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 Speed upgrade?

Even though I am planning at the moment anyhow to put a V-6 into my 00 Protege I have an issue with the stock 5 speed. We all know that these cars were not bulit for cruising down the interstate & getting 35 MPG. At 80 the engine is turning 4,000 RPM. My question is does anyone make a taller fifth gear for these cars?
    Got Zoom?

2000 Protege ES

I believe the MX6/626 5th gear set is taller than stock and can be installed in your transmission as a replacement.

Happy Motoring!
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Originally posted by goldstar View Post
      I believe the MX6/626 5th gear set is taller than stock and can be installed in your transmission as a replacement.

Happy Motoring!

Good to know even if I do stick stock with the stock motor.

Got Zoom?

2000 Protege ES

Comment

also there is a kit on protegegarage.com that sells gtx strengthened gear sets

Comment

Originally posted by ajkulish View Post
          also there is a kit on protegegarage.com that sells gtx strengthened gear sets
          The strength of the gear is fine it just too short gas mileage sucks on the interstate. Yeah I could slow down but what fun would that be?
          Last edited by norwood1026; 11-27-2010, 11:41 AM.
          Got Zoom?

2000 Protege ES

Comment

Originally posted by norwood1026 View Post
            The strenght of the gear is fine it just too short gas mileage sucks on the interstate. Yeah I could slow down but what fun would that be?
            No fun!

Happy Motoring!
            Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
            Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery

Comment

yes the MX6/626 5th gear.

Only 2 parts are needed for the 5th gear swap. It's a direct swap !

Parts from Mazda are:

Primary shaft - G560-17-611C
              Secondary shaft - G514-17-308

You use your original synchros.

Comment

put on a taller wheel/tire combination. much easier way to reduce engine RPM at cruising speed

im getting 30 mpg in my 2003 ES 5 speed. I dont think thats bad at all. If you go to a real high gear you wont be able to pass without downshifting and probaly burning up any fuel you saved in the process
                Last edited by mach1219; 06-02-2010, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by goldstar View Post

Happy Motoring!
                  Sorry I should of asked this before, it will bolt up to the 1.8 correct?
                  Got Zoom?

2000 Protege ES

Comment

Yes, it will fit in your 1.8 L transmission.

Happy Motoring!
                    Last edited by goldstar; 09-03-2010, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Is this swap for an F tranny on a Z5 engine protege 1996?

Comment

Originally posted by norwood1026 View Post
                        Even though I am planning at the moment anyhow to put a V-6 into my 00 Protege I have an issue with the stock 5 speed. We all know that these cars were not bulit for cruising down the interstate & getting 35 MPG. At 80 the engine is turning 4,000 RPM. My question is does anyone make a taller fifth gear for these cars?

Now that this was bumped up, I went back and looked at your original statement. Where did you get your original figure from? At 80 mph with stock wheels and tires, your engine is turning more like 3,656 rpm in 5th gear.

Happy Motoring!
                        Last edited by goldstar; 04-24-2012, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GigioMX5 View Post
                          Is this swap for an F tranny on a Z5 engine protege 1996?
                          No, the gear swap only works with G-series transmissions. Sorry.

Comment

BTW- Anyone knows how to identify an F Transmission gear using the outside codes?

I just swap my ATX for a stick and is poping out the 5Th gear so i need to know which ratio is the best for economy.
                            My Tranny id says F5D2 does it mean anything in particular?

Thanks for your help!

Comment

^
                              According to TheMAN's FAQ, that number is the assembly identification code number but it won't tell you anything about the internal gear ratios. If you know your transmission's model # (for example, F5M-R), the internal gear ratios can be found in the transmission section of the above FAQ.

Happy Motoring!
                              Last edited by goldstar; 04-26-2012, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X