Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2000 Protege 1.6 Engine lacks power and "bucks"

Hello. This is my first post.

the Protege has no power. When starting from a stop, going up slight grades ( I live in a flat state), It acts as if the throttle position switch is bad, or has a bad fuel pump. This thing really boggs out as if I'm starting out in 5th gear. Then it will instantly snap to accelerate and immediately bogg out again. If I barely touch the accelerator, occasionally, it will run fine until I need to pick up speed then I must hold it to the floor to get up to speed; bogging out the entire time but what seems like an eternity later I'm going 55 -60 MPH down the interstate getting all the bad looks. The check engine light was on, my code was for a transmission range switch (p 0705 I think) The dealer said it was a neutral safety switch but when I told them it was a 5 speed they said I was wrong, but I found a switch at the back of the tranny with a broken wire. fixed it and the Check engine light is now out. Could this tranny switch have an effect on other issues? Also what would cause the "bucking" and lack of engine power and not have a code yet?
    Thanks in advance

Possibly a dirty MAF sensor . or a faulty throttle position sensor. I would try cleaning the maf first.

Comment

Working...
    X