99' 1.6L Catalytic conv. help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

99' 1.6L Catalytic conv. help

Cant seem to find a place to replace my Catalytic converter, ive looked online and they are "not state legal in California". Someone has mentioned getting a universal cat but how about pre-cat?

any feedback would be very helpful.

Thanks ClubProtege!
    DailyDriver/Grocery getter:
    1986 Toyota Corolla GT-S 4AGE 16v Hi-comp/TRD/LSD
    RUN 4AG!

What do you mean by a pre-cat, exactly? Typically, a pre-cat is a smaller cat positioned upstream from the primary converter, to aid in the reduction of harmful exhaust emissions. A universal would be your best bet; just make sure the pipe diameters match. Your other option is to go to Mazda and have them replace it, which will run you a rather princely sum. Figure somewhere around $800 with install, but more than that wouldn't surprise me.
    1995 626: daily beater, mostly stock. Future NASA racer?

Next up: Speed6 or RX-8

Comment

You need to try here.

I as well live in CA and have had issues with CA. It's crap like this that make me want to leave this unfriendly state.
      Hope this helps

Comment

Rix, that name looks awfully familiar! Welcome to CP! I thought you were in the PNW, though, why do you need a CA-legal cat?

'99 is too new for my blood, I don't know much about'em...

are you looking for a direct-fit, or something that is CA-legal, but might take a bit of fabrication to work?

Looks like the 'stock' piece comes with piping as well, and has an angled flange right at the front.

The mazdaspeed motorsports catalog has it listed as "Catalyst, Three Way", and is still 250 bucks with the MMS discount.

I'd say the best bet would be to get a universal, cut the ends of the pipe to the right angle, weld on the old flanges, and go from there.

Of course, I really don't have any experience with underbodies/exhausts that aren't rusted to crap and don't need fabrication anyways...

--sarge

Comment

Originally posted by SgtRauksauff View Post
          Rix, that name looks awfully familiar! Welcome to CP! I thought you were in the PNW, though, why do you need a CA-legal cat?

'99 is too new for my blood, I don't know much about'em...

are you looking for a direct-fit, or something that is CA-legal, but might take a bit of fabrication to work?

Looks like the 'stock' piece comes with piping as well, and has an angled flange right at the front.

The mazdaspeed motorsports catalog has it listed as "Catalyst, Three Way", and is still 250 bucks with the MMS discount.

I'd say the best bet would be to get a universal, cut the ends of the pipe to the right angle, weld on the old flanges, and go from there.

Of course, I really don't have any experience with underbodies/exhausts that aren't rusted to crap and don't need fabrication anyways...

--sarge
          hmmm...Is this John Russakoff? I am actually located in southern california. Its actually for my girlfriends car, ive been trying to find a cat & pass smog legit. I've never had to deal with OBDII cars so i never had this problem.

We've gone around to local muffler shops and see what they can do about it but they say the same thing "you have to get that at the dealership"

Someone also mentioned the universal fitment for it. but could you give me some more information regarding that. That would be lots of help for us.
          RUN 4AG!

Comment

Originally posted by mothra View Post
            You need to try here.

I as well live in CA and have had issues with CA. It's crap like this that make me want to leave this unfriendly state.
            Hope this helps
            California emissions laws suck! gotta love Mr. GoverNATOR!!!
            RUN 4AG!

Comment

Nope, not John Russakof, although he's told me that every time he sees my nick there's a moment where he thinks it's his name.

I just hang out a lot on hr.net from time to time.

After looking into the CA cat rules a little more, and looking for a cat that fits, holy FRAK are those cats expensive!!! Looking at the magnaflow/carsound california catalog, and pulling the part numbers 44104 and 44304 for the universal cats. the cheapest I can find a 44104 is $227 on ebay...

--sarge

Comment

Working...
              X