2000 DX, Timing belt, pulleys, Waterpump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2000 DX, Timing belt, pulleys, Waterpump

Hello. I'm new here. But, I did "search" first before posting.

I recently acquired a USA, 49 State (though I reside in Calif.), 1.6, 5 speed, 2000 Protege DX. This is a daily drive (8,000-10,000 miles a year). The car has 95,000 miles and is overdue for a timing belt change. I'm familiar with the process having done it on many other cars.

That said, I'm noted for not wanting to spend money when I don't have to. I grasp the logic of replacing the pulleys (tensioner) and water pump (cost not withstanding). On the other hand I have seen these parts outlive "to the next timing belt change".

I had a 1991, 323 and I don't think the water pump was ever changed in 193,000 miles (and, maybe the tensioner pulley once). So, I'll ask if there is a common failure rate of these items at a specific mileage on the 2000, 1.6, Protege???

This also leads me to the quality of the parts available on Ebay. There seems to be no name "Domestic Gasket" belts and pulleys as cheap as $43 (or waterpump included at $83). Then there are the brand name Dayco's (which I have used successfully) around $50+. And then... the $80 Gates and Gatorbacks. I have the same quality questions about the waterpump.

Like I said, I hate spending money I didn't have to, but I don't want to be foolish either. So, based on the condition I find of the existing parts, the failure mileage you report back to me and the "quality for cost" (again, your input appreciated) of the parts available I can then decide how I'll proceed.

Thank you for your time. Regard, Tom

My advice is to avoid the cheap Chinese junk when it comes to something vital like timing components, gaskets, etc...pretty much everything that you see millions of posts on ebay now are cheap Chinese junk which will give you nothing but grief due to substandard machining, tolerances, and/or poor metal castings, etc.

Do yourself a favor and buy your parts locally or from a company online that has a good rep like Rock Auto, etc.
    Last edited by smokstac; 06-06-2011, 01:11 AM.

Comment

"My advice is to avoid the cheap Chinese junk - or (buy) from a company online that has a good rep like Rock Auto, etc."

Well..., I went to Rock Auto and ordered my parts. When they arrived:

1. The American company "Gates" water pump was from China

2. The American company "Wix" air filter was from China

3. The American company "Goodyear" timing belt kit had a Japanese belt (likely not a bad thing) and a GMB tensioner and idler (not sure where GMB stuff is made). The bearing seals were green if that indicates anything.

4. The American company "Fel Pro" valve cover gasket was from Japan (again, likely not a bad thing).

4. The American company "Wells" PCV valve actual came from..., USA.

5. I never looked to see where the NGK plugs were made???

Over the "cheaper" Ebay parts I paid roughly an additional 1/3 cost, but I'm wondering if I got my moneys worth. Today it seems like most any (even good) company buys Chinese parts, sells on their "past" history of quality and hopes you sell the car before the part fails under "limited lifetime warranty."

Anyway, all is in and running well. Hoping for another 95K.

Tom
      Last edited by wittsend; 06-25-2011, 01:10 AM.

Comment

Many automotive parts are outsourced today, that's the nature of our global economy. However, there are imported parts and then there are imported parts. For example, when you buy from a reliable company such as Gates, it doesn't matter where their parts are made since presumably they are made to Gates' specifications (unlike unbranded or generic parts, which are strictly price-driven).

As for NGK spark plugs, they are an acknowledged quality product regardless of where they're made whether it be Japan, Lithuania, or Timbucktu. The specs the thing.

Mazda recently switched the manufacturer of Protege oil filters from offshore to domestic - assuming "domestic" oil filters are actually made in the US - but maintains that the quality of the new filters is unchanged from before.

Case in point: The American company, Champion Labs, manufactures a wide variety of oil filters including K&N, Mobil 1, Royal Purple, and many more economical brands each made to the particular specs of the ultimate vendor and therefore reflecting a wide quality range.

Caveat emptor!

Happy Motoring!
        Last edited by goldstar; 06-25-2011, 07:15 AM.
        02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
        MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
        MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
        Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
        MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
        Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
        Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
        Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
        Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
        Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
        Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
        Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
        Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Thank you for the reassurance.

Years ago my brother worked for Purolator. He told me that they made filters for a lot of companies. And, that they made them to different standards.

Tom

Comment

That's what I meant.

Obviously you cannot really control if Gates uses Chinese sourced parts, but, if you buy something from some seller on ebay and it isn't Gates but labeled with some off brand name made in China then you are taking a huge risk.

Take a look around on ebay. Many of the very same "cheap" parts have similar descriptions, auction pages, etc. though the sellers might have different name. In reality they all come from the same business somewhere in CA who is importing cheap crap that doesn't really meet OEM specs, might be made of cheap metal (or castings), and could be quite dangerous on your several thousand pound vehicle.

To me if the part is $60 from Rock Auto versus $40 from some unknown person on ebay I'll take the $60 part from Rock Auto (or the vendor of your choice.....) because both Rock Auto and the OEM vendor have something to lose and could be held directly liable. If you get your part on ebay it might even be a cheap counterfeit that might even have a Gates logo and box....but what recourse will you have when it breaks? Will the seller still be there in 9 months to honor the supposed warranty? If the seller is not an authorized vendor then even the warranty is no good even through the larger supplier. This is a huge danger and perfectly legal.

Counterfeits are rampant in China and you stand less chance of getting one if you stick with a reputable company and authorized supplier.

Comment

Working...
            X