Engine Surging problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Surging problem

Hey everyone, I have 2000 1.6L Automatic protege. The car now has 103k miles and is mostly driven every day on the interstate back and forth to school. Over the past few months I have been getting a terrible idle stopped at lights and when putting it in reverse. I checked the cold air intake hose and it had a crack in it and replaced it. I thought that would have solved the issue, but it has just gotten worse. There is no more sputtering but now when I throw it into reverse, I have to push the accelerator pedal to make it go and it shakes badly. then when shifting to drive the engine will surge and finally kick in. It doesn't happen like that all the time, but worse when the engine is cold. There are also some instances when coasting then pushing the accelerator will cause the engine to surge and kick in too.

I am suspecting that there is still a vacuum leak somewhere as I can hear a hiss with the hood up. I've checked all the hoses and they look fine. also I am worried this may be a transmission issue as it seems to help when turning overdrive off (maybe because of the change in idling). Any idea what could be the issue?

Oh and no check engine light has come on.
Working...
X