Is it my tranny or my clutch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it my tranny or my clutch?

I've been away for a while for personal reasons I've missed you guys.
    Now onto my question. I forgot my password & username so I had to start all over. This place has changed big time!

I have 140,000 on my 00 Protege. In first & second gear the car jerks when I let the clutch out. But only in those two gears. Here is part two of my question. IF is is the tranny I was told from you guys that I could swap out my tranny for a one from a 626. I was told it was more or less a bolt in. Did you guys mean from a V-6 or a 4 banger? Also do I need to make sure the tranny is the same year as my car?

Thanks! It's good to be back!

I doubt it's gearbox but if you let it go it's liable to become that. I wonder if it's a sticky pilot bearing or a sticking disc that only sticks in 1-2. I'm having trouble figuring out how either item would only stick in those 2 gears though. I spose it could be that the amount of tq in 3-5 overcomes the stiction. I guess at first glance I'd drain off some trans lube and see if there's metal chunks in it. That and take the bellhousing access panel or the fork boot off and make sure everything in there moves as it should when the driven wheels are up in the air.
    '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
    '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Originally posted by jay View Post
      I doubt it's gearbox but if you let it go it's liable to become that. I wonder if it's a sticky pilot bearing or a sticking disc that only sticks in 1-2. I'm having trouble figuring out how either item would only stick in those 2 gears though. I spose it could be that the amount of tq in 3-5 overcomes the stiction. I guess at first glance I'd drain off some trans lube and see if there's metal chunks in it. That and take the bellhousing access panel or the fork boot off and make sure everything in there moves as it should when the driven wheels are up in the air.
      That's what confusing me why only those two gears? Granted it's over due for a oil change in the gear box. Still I would think that ot would stick in other gears then just those two.

Comment

Working...
      X