Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AWR Racing Engine Mount Fit and Installation

Hello Everyone,

I'm in the middle of the removal and replacement of my #2 and #3 Engine Mounts (Passenger Side and Lower Front Transmission)
    on my 2000 ES 1.8L. I finally got the correct tools and advice from goldstar and the removal has went well except for the
    passenger side AWR Mount installation.

The mount is rigid and exacting. The holes are smaller than the stock part and the fit in my opinion seems too tight. No matter which way I approach this installation the mount seems too precise (too small) and unaccommodating. If I mount the bulkhead side first and then try to mate the engine side I can't cover the distance between the mount and the two bolts on the engine.

If I mount the engine side first and then attempt to mount the bulkhead side the mount seems small. I can move the engine because I have it hoisted and a jack under the motor but I can't close the distance between the engine and the passenger side mount to get the bolts installed.

Has anyone installed the AWR Racing Passenger side engine mount, P/N: AWR-3301HMT? How did you get the mount to fit both sides such that the holes on the frame and the bulkhead/wheelwell stud mate like they're supposed to?

Do I have to loosen the #4 Engine Mount (auto transmission) to improve the ability to move my engine. I can move the engine a 1/4" easily but after that any extra movement is achieved by jerking the motor. Note, I have already loosened the #2 engine mount. Check the pictures, do you see how far the center hole is from its mate. Any ideas on how I should approach the install? How can I close the gap between these parts? The engine side bolts are not even tight in the pictures.

Click image for larger version

Name:	168_6817_edit.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	1267944Click image for larger version

Name:	168_6818_edit.jpg
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	1267945Click image for larger version

Name:	168_6819_edit.jpg
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	1267946

Please help, I'm a newbie Protege DIY. Thank you for all your suggestions.
    2000 Protege ES - Stock 190k

i installed a set on my 99 es race car but put all of the mounts on at once so i had them all loose did the front trans rear terans pain had to drop steering rack then put rear trans then the front engine all were loose i then tighten trans rear (tail shaft) then tightend front of engine mount and as i did it bent the tabs and pulled and bent the inter fender. the front and rear mounts on the trans went in fine. so i dont know if the 2.0 engine is a little larger or the mounting tab on the block is a little longer. because it is a tight fit.

Comment

Thank you fmracing. I really appreciate the reply.

So let me paraphrase what you said.

1) All mounts loose, all mounts installed during a single installation session

2) Install front lower transmission mount first - loose

3) Install rear transmission mount but steering rack will need to be dropped

4) Tighten rear then tighten front mounts - bent tabs (I assume you mean the front lower transmission mount)
      as well as bent the inner fender (I assume this means the passenger side - where pass side mount connects to stud)

I'll think about what you described although I'm concerned I won't be able to successfully install the passenger mount.

Thank you very much.

Originally posted by fmracing69 View Post
      i installed a set on my 99 es race car but put all of the mounts on at once so i had them all loose did the front trans rear terans pain had to drop steering rack then put rear trans then the front engine all were loose i then tighten trans rear (tail shaft) then tightend front of engine mount and as i did it bent the tabs and pulled and bent the inter fender. the front and rear mounts on the trans went in fine. so i dont know if the 2.0 engine is a little larger or the mounting tab on the block is a little longer. because it is a tight fit.
      2000 Protege ES - Stock 190k

Comment

correct, loosen all mount bolts and tighten them all down after everything is bolted together,
        "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
        -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
        *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
        172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
        New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

i tightend rear trans drivers side of car first than front engine pass side car . now on the trans mount rear i also loosend the nuts on the studs were the bracket mounts to the top of the trans. then did the rear (fire wall) mount and did the front (radiatior) mount last

Comment

Working...
          X