A/C Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C Problems

I have a feeling this is kind of common and certainly not restricted to our cars, but on my '01 ES my A/C is acting a bit funny.
    The compressor will not engage if the blower speed selector is on settings 2 or 3, but works perfectly in setting 1, and most of the time on setting 4. Setting 4 always works on the highway at high enough rpm's, but not always through town.

I checked my R134a levels yesterday and added a bit more so it was full, but to no avail.

Also, whenever the compressor does engage it causes to idle rpm's to drop to ~500 for a few seconds which makes the engine shake.

Edit: I should note that the car is throwing up a P0128 CEL code which has to do with the thermostat and related components..
    Last edited by maw230; 05-29-2012, 04:33 PM.

Anyone?

Comment

Welcome to CP.

P0128 Coolant thermostat stuck in open position

According to the FSM, possible causes are thermostat malfunction, ECT sensor malfunction, or PCM malfunction.

I'd check the thermostat first.

Happy Motoring!
      02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
      MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
      MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
      Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
      MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
      Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
      Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
      Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
      Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
      Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
      Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
      Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
      Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Thanks! Do you think that could cause the A/C problems I'm experiencing?

Edit: I should also mention that the driver side radiator fan never engages and so is probably broken...
        Last edited by maw230; 05-30-2012, 10:23 AM.

Comment

bump

Comment

I would suspect either the fan switch itself has bad/worn connections or the blower resistor is bad. The resistor is what regulates various fan speeds as you select different settings. These wear out and aren't all that pricey, maybe $25-$40.

As to the RPM drop, all compressors knock your power down to some degree on start and it's most noticeable on smaller engines. That's pretty normal, but not sure how hard of a hit should be worth checking in to. I'll have to look at mine today and see how far the RPM drops from normal idle. Maybe some other folks could check theirs and chime in.

I don't think your CEL for that thermostat should have anything to do with the AC.
            How to quickly diagnose, repair, and info on symptoms and causes of a P0128 code which generally indicates a failed thermostat.
            2002 Protege DX, 1974 VW Standard Beetle

Comment

Originally posted by vw.fe2o3 View Post
              I would suspect either the fan switch itself has bad/worn connections or the blower resistor is bad. The resistor is what regulates various fan speeds as you select different settings. These wear out and aren't all that pricey, maybe $25-$40.

Hmm, do you know where the resistor is located?

As to the RPM drop, all compressors knock your power down to some degree on start and it's most noticeable on smaller engines. That's pretty normal, but not sure how hard of a hit should be worth checking in to. I'll have to look at mine today and see how far the RPM drops from normal idle. Maybe some other folks could check theirs and chime in.

I don't think your CEL for that thermostat should have anything to do with the AC.

Thanks for the info!

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0128

Comment

On the 02 Protege, the resistor is behind the glove box, you'll have to take that off. I assume it's the same on the 01.

Here's the clip from the 02 service manual. You can test it as shown for resistance if you have a cheap Ohm meter. That'll save you from buying the part if it turns out it's ok.

PM sent on glovebox removal in case you needed that.
                Last edited by vw.fe2o3; 06-05-2012, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Edit: I was thinking about it, and the fan works in every speed - it's the compressor that doesn't. Could that still be a problem with the resistor?

Sweet, thanks! I'm guessing I can find a cheap Ohm meter on the webs.
                  Last edited by maw230; 06-05-2012, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by maw230 View Post
                    Edit: I was thinking about it, and the fan works in every speed - it's the compressor that doesn't. Could that still be a problem with the resistor?

Sweet, thanks! I'm guessing I can find a cheap Ohm meter on the webs.
                    If the fan is running and increases at speed incrementally, it's probably not the resistor. I misread that. That's sounding more like the switches in the climate control panel. There's a section in the 02 service manual section 7 about pulling it and testing the fan switch and AC amplifier. I've never done that on these cars, it doesn't look bad. Perhaps someone who has can help.

Comment

This is actually a known issue with most proteges. Mazda finally issued a TSB on it. Look for the issue you will find lots of links. Here is one:

Well, before my fan speed knob got ripped off by my careless father I would only have working air conditioning on 1 and 4, the AC light would shut off on 2 or 3, I remember reading something about it but does anyone have this issue too or know a solution to it?

Comment

Originally posted by talltim View Post
                        This is actually a known issue with most proteges. Mazda finally issued a TSB on it. Look for the issue you will find lots of links. Here is one:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...n-speed-2-or-3
                        I believe this is exactly what I'm looking for. thanks everyone.

Comment

Glad I could help. I have the same issue. The Proper fix ends up being to replace a circuit board which isnt worth the expense on a older car. There are ways to work around it.

Comment

Working...
                          X