Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overheating 2.0L and coolant gone

Background:
    2002 Protege ES (2.0L) Auto with 63k miles.
    I recently (about 2 months ago) had the timing belt and head gasket changed. The belt squeaked for a few days so I took it back and had them tighten it. The squeaking stopped for the most part but I'd still occasionally hear tiny quiet chirps and just dismissed them.
    A couple days ago the check engine light came on after the car momentarily bogged. I figured it was time to change my spark plugs (been using the stock ones that last 30k miles and I last changed them about 30k miles ago).

Yesterday I noticed the temperature gauge was all the way up. I was pretty close to home so I just drove back and let the car cool down. The coolant reservoir was almost empty and it emptied as I let the car cool.

Today I checked the dipstick and the oil appears to be a normal color.
    There is some white stuff in the engine compartment near the coolant reservoir (pictured below) that looks like it shot out of the reservoir cap/valve. I'm pretty sure it was not there when I got the car back after the gasket replacement.

The inside of the reservoir was full of gunk as well (pictured). I removed the reservoir and cleaned it out after taking that photo. I also refilled the car with water and coolant (though it seems like I will need a full coolant flush anyway since there is probably gunk everywhere).

I ran the car for a few minutes and let it warm up. I didn't notice anything leaking on the ground.

Do I have a busted water pump? If so, could it have anything to do with the new belt? I know I need to get the coolant system cleaned out and refilled with the proper coolant from this thread, but what should my next step be? Is a coolant flush something I can do myself (as an apartment dweller) or should I just take it in?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0545.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	328.7 KB
ID:	1268969
    Some of the white gunk/spray.

Name:	IMAG0547.jpg
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	1268970
    Inside the reservoir.

Name:	IMAG0548.jpg
Size:	279.5 KB
ID:	1268971
    Radiator cap with some green gunk.

I checked the car again today. The coolant reservoir was empty so I thought there may have been a leak, but checking the radiator it was almost full and I did not notice any stains on the ground.

I filled up the reservoir with water and ran the engine at 2500rpm for 5 minutes and then 3000rpm for 30 seconds as mentioned in the FSM on page 01-12-3.
    The car warmed up and seemed stable for a while, but then started to overheat. Afterwards, the reservoir was filled with green fluid. Am I correct in assuming that this means the coolant is circulating properly (since I added plain water to the empty reservoir)?

Could this be a cooling fan issue? I think the cooling fans behind the radiator did not turn on during this process.

Comment

If anyone comes across this thread in the future: It turns out the problem was a faulty thermostat.

Comment

Always look at the cheap stupid stuff first!

Comment

Working...
        X