Possible Bad Catalytic Converter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible Bad Catalytic Converter?

I start my engine and when it bursts into song I get a rattle under the passenger compartment - more pronounced when I rev it than under cruise or idle. Everything else is normal and no change in performance. Bad converter? What do you think.

Happy Motoring!
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Could be that, could be a rattling undertray, could be muffler banging on the coachwork cuz a mount is loose, prolly not bad converter if there's no change in how it goes. Easy to diagnose, once you get the car up and crawl underneath it.
    '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
    '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Thank you.

I haven't had a chance to go under the car yet but when I do I'll follow your suggestions. I was just looking for a quick answer to narrow my search. From what I can judge topside, the muffler seems securely mounted though.

Happy Motoring!
      Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
      Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery

Comment

I know cats can fail by leaving chunks of their innards banging around in the case. But when mine went, it just clogged up. Either failure mode is likely to increase backpressure enough to notice a power loss, specially if you are running forced induction..
        '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.

Comment

i bet u its a heatshield, theres a reason why i dont have any on my car anymore

Comment

yeah, there's no deffinate answer till you get under there and look. just go under there and start moving things on the exhaust and see what rattles. tap the converter and see if you can hear loose material inside.
            -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
            VF10 powered!
            262 Whp & 257 Wtq
            13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

Loose heat shield was my problem as well. Hose clamped it in place at first, then just tore it off completely. Problem solved.

Comment

Heatshield is the most common cause of that as it is only tack welded in a few spots from the factory. Any reputable muffler shop should be able to re-weld the shields back on as needed (probably better than the factory by using a longer bead). At first I thought about your setup where you have the Racing Beat muffler and thought that there was no cat heat shield to speak of, but after some digging I found you still have the factory cat infront of the racing beat system correct?

If the shield is secure and you suspect the catalytic converter there are plenty of high-flow cats aftermarket as an option to help optimize exhaust flow.

Good luck.
                The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Thanks, Donnie. Yes, I still have the factory cat in front of the RB system. This weekend, I'll go underneath and check things out. I hope it's not the cat to save some money. However, should I need a new cat, what would be a good, reliable aftermarket high flow type to consider?

Happy Motoring!

Comment

Mike;

I would think that a brand like Magnaflow or Flowmaster would be your best bet as both offer a higher flowing converter. I have not had much personal experience with either so I cannot fully endorse them myself. Perhaps another member has one that would like to chime in? Magnaflow only offers a cat for the 2.0L, here, that is a bolt in replacement. My memory is fuzzy but you have the 1.8L correct? I would presume that the exhaust systems are not different between the 1.8L and the 2.0L but I do not know for sure. The nice thing about the Magnaflow website is they offer both an OEM grade replacement as well as an upgraded better flowing model. Flowmaster's website offers only universal ones for other Mazda models with similar exhaust systems. Their product remind of the universal cat replacements that you see on eBay and other websites that have to be welded on.
                    The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Thanks for the information, Donnie. I have the 2.0 L and should I need a new cat I'll look at the Magnaflow.

Happy Motoring!

Comment

I went underneath and everything seems secure. The heat shield is secure and so is the exhaust system. The rattle is most pronounced when I rev the engine but not so much, or not present, at cruise, and there is no noticeable performance decrement. Is there a definitive test for a bad cat before I spring for a new one? I assume it's the 2nd cat, not the 1st, since that's where the noise seems to be coming from.

Happy Motoring!

Comment

Update

I spoke to a tech friend of mine. He told me to beat the cat with a rubber mallet, and listen. I did - nice crescendo of sound. So cat 2 is bad. Taking Donnie's advice, I ordered a Magnaflow free-flow, 49-state, direct fit, OEM grade cat. OEM grade is more expensive than standard but nothing is too good for the penultimate driving machine. I ordered it from Exhaust4Less.com at a cost of: US $338.05; shipping is free and no state theft.

Since I already have the RB exhaust, the free-flow cat should give me even more power. Gollee, I hope so.

Happy Motoring!

Comment

According to tracking, the new Magnaflow cat will be delivered to my home on Monday, July 9th. If the good Lord's willing and the creek don't rise (or it doesn't rain), I'll install it on Tuesday. I'm going to need new gaskets since they're not included so it's off to Mazda tomorrow for their acquisition.

Happy Motoring!

Comment

Whell naow there's yer problem!

Comment

Working...
                              X