Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few questions 1999 1.6

The car has 140k.

The car idles roughly for the first 10 minutes of driving, and only in drive. Rpms dip coming to a stop, below 500 rom. The car will also idle irratically between 400-700 rpm. Once warmed up it gets a little better. Car has new plugs and wires. It was showing an SES for EGR which it was cleaned 3 times between 75k and 85k miles. SES light came back on but went away 20k ago. Car idles normally in park.

Other issue I have is the transmission. It began slipping at 80,000 miles, only between 2nd - 3rd gear. It seems to shift smoother if you let off the throttle slightly. It has gone 60,000 more miles and now has 140,000. I did not flush the trans for fear of making the problem worse. What could be the problem?

It has a couple issues currently that I am aware of. First is the engine mount needs to be replaced, engine shifts whrn put into drive and reverse. The other issue is the alternator is getting weak.

Any suggestions?

Well, Since your car idles normal in park, and your transmission has been slipping for 60k miles, I would take care of that transmission issue before anything else. Some places offer $900 rebuilds with a new torque converter and if I remember correctly the transmissions that were bolted to the 1.6 were pretty short lived so a rebuild may fix a few problems. Also, the engine mount kit can be purchased as a set of 4 for about $120 online. Have whoever does the transmission rebuild to throw those in since the mounts have to come out anyways.
    R.I.P. 97 Proto LX> Car killed the deer, but the deer killed the car
    108,659 Mi.

2003 Mazda Protégé> 140k miles

Comment

Working...
    X