2003 Protege5 Smoke / Noise After AEM Short Ram Instal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2003 Protege5 Smoke / Noise After AEM Short Ram Instal

I just installed this AEM Intake http://www.aemintakes.com/search/pro...x?prod=22-481R

After installation and the very first start up I noticed white smoke and a new noise coming from the engine.

Here's a link to the video with the AEM intake, if you listen you can here a "ping' or something:

Here's another with the stock intake, a little smoke but not nearly like the AEM:

Both videos were shot with the car at operating temperature.

A little history:
    I just bought the car with 144,650 miles on it. It was making a horrible noise when I bought it but owning another 2003 Protege5 I knew the noise was the water pump.

1) While waiting for the timing/water pump kit to arrive I purchased a new, Purge Valve, Cat, O2 Sensors, and a Stainless Steel Cat back Exhaust on eBay. Nothing special, I know it has a small leak between the resonator and "S" pipe as I am waiting for the seller to send me a better gasket. No smoking or strange noises after this install.

2) The next day I installed the AEM Intake and immediately noticed the smoke and new engine noise.

3) The timing/water pump kit arrived so I installed the new water pump, timing belt, idler pulley, tension pulley and spring. After installed the horrible noise (water pump) that was there when I purchased the vehicle was gone but still smoke and a "ping" sound.

4) Checked the oil and it seemed fine, not like a head gasket was out or anything. I did an oil change anyhow, still smoke and a "ping" sound.

5) Changed the coil packs and spark plugs, still smoke and a "ping" sound.

6) Removed AEM Intake and reinstalled stock intake. Smoke was noticeably less and no more "ping" noise.

7) I waited for the car to cool completely down and took it for a drive. Barely any smoke at all and no "ping." It ran very good and responsive, idle was smooth and right after I parked it I pulled the plugs and they were all dry and no oil on them. Checked the oil and antifreeze levels and they were all right on.

Tomorrow morning I will start it up again with stock intake and see what happens. Then install the AEM intake and wait for it to cool completely off and give it another shot. I will update afterwards.

What else could it be, EGR?
    Last edited by 1PaulSilva; 07-09-2015, 11:57 PM.

Did you reset your ecu after installing the AEM?
    Before you criticize someone, first try walking a mile in their shoes. Because then you'll be a mile away, and you'll have their shoes...

Comment

Yes sir, I did. Disconnected the negative battery cable, held the brake pedal down for 20 seconds and then reconnected the negative battery cable. Started the car and let it idle for a few minutes. Right when it started up it smoked and made the noise. First thing in the morning I am going to cold start with the stock intake again to check things out then reinstall the AEM Intake, reset the ECU and see what happens. Did I reset the ECU properly?

Comment

Update:

1) First thing this morning, cold start with stock intake a small cloud of smoke and some condensation blew out the exhaust with no funny engine noises.

2) Let it cool down for a couple hours, removed cat back exhaust, cold start no smoke, no condensation and no funny engine noises.

3) Reinstalled AEM Short RAM Intake, cold start no smoke, no condensation and no funny engine noises.

4) Reinstalled cat back exhaust, cold start a small cloud of smoke and some condensation blew out the exhaust with no funny engine noises.
        Video link: http://youtu.be/eaY0AGgl7M8

I am guessing the smoke and condensation is due to the exhaust leak between the resonator and "S" pipe. I will let it cool down again and see what happens later today. For now I will wait for the new exhaust gaskets to arrive, after installation I will update again. Doesn't explain the strange engine noise unless I didn't reset the ECU properly. I also made note of oil and antifreeze levels so I can monitor them.

Comment

Well I don't get it. The smoking went away. There are no funny noises, the car runs perfect. I just changed the oil and what do you know. Started it this morning and smoke!! Now I am thinking valve guides? I already have the seals since I bought a complete head gasket kit when I replaced the timing belt just so I had all the gaskets just in case. Any tips, tricks, tutorials on this or any other ideas?

I am thinking that in the morning I will pull the spark plugs on the cold engine and see if there's any oil or wetness on top of the pistons or plugs. Then doing a compression test on each cylinder as well. If the pistons/spark plugs are wet then it should be a bad valve guide and if my compression is low then a bad piston ring, correct?

Update:
          Pulled all the spark plugs this morning on a cold engine. All four plugs looked exactly the same. Very clean, grayish color, no oil or wetness at all. Checked compression on all four cylinders: 1=155, 2=157, 3=160, 4=160

After starting the engine there was a tiny puff of smoke, nothing too horrible like the previous day. After warming up and giving it a good rev I noticed a black "carbon" soot looking substance on the ground from the exhaust pipe.
          Here's a pic:Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (2).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	372.5 KB
ID:	1241369

I am down to do a valve guide replacement with the head on, but if it's a ring I'd rather just drop a different engine in. I called around today for availability and prices on engines and I was told the engines for an A/T are different then M/T something about the "upper pan" whatever that refers to. I would think a flywheel/bell housing swap (is the crank able to accept this swap properly), starter mount and some things like that would need to be changed out but the motors themselves should be the same right? Any thoughts, anyone?
          Last edited by 1PaulSilva; 08-05-2015, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Update:
            Replaced Valve Seals with Fel-Pro brand seals and no more smoking. The Fel-Pro kit came with only 1 type of seal even though I have been reading that there is one type for intake and another for exhaust. Fel-Pro uses intake seals for both sides.

Comment

Working...
            X