Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound deadening solutions

Hi everyone!

Well, a while ago, I replaced all of my motor mounts with Polyurethane ones and well since then the noise from the engine is gotten pretty bad. While I can take it when I'm driving around town, in the highway it gets really bad. Past 4000RPM its so loud that I can't stand it anymore. I was thinking about removing the carpet in the front and line the floor with some kind of sound deadening material. Anybody have any brands/type of material suggestions? Can anyone think of any other solutions?

Thanks in advance!

Dynamat might work. Or, steal some tar from the local DOT supply and slather it on the floorboard and firewall. Other suggestions: switching back to rubber mounts, puncturing your eardrums.
    1995 626: daily beater, mostly stock. Future NASA racer?

Next up: Speed6 or RX-8

Comment

Sorry, I can't help you with your problem but I can tell you what caused it. Go to:

Happy Motoring!
      02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
      MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
      MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
      Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
      MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
      Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
      Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
      Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
      Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
      Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
      Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
      Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
      Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

noise or vibration creating noise. there is a difference.

i have 90 duro mounts front and rear and have little to no issue above 1000 rpm. engine noise over 4000 rpm is all intake and exhaust noise really as things smooth out. i dont think your issue is the hard mounts.

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys! Sorry it took so long for me to reply lol

Goldstar, I'm not sure if its the engine per say since I just rebuilt it. I figured the builder balanced the crank when that was done. Mazdanoob, the sound problems have been around since I installed the poly motor mounts. There's a lot of vibration right around where the pedals are. Heck, when I open the doors when the cars idling, the doors would actually rattle.

Anybody out there tried Second Skin? I guess I'd just have to gut the interior and apply some sound deadening mats and/or spray the interior with a liquid lining of some sort...

Comment

Originally posted by njintau_fsd View Post
            Thanks for the reply guys! Sorry it took so long for me to reply lol

Goldstar, I'm not sure if its the engine per say since I just rebuilt it. I figured the builder balanced the crank when that was done. Mazdanoob, the sound problems have been around since I installed the poly motor mounts. There's a lot of vibration right around where the pedals are. Heck, when I open the doors when the cars idling, the doors would actually rattle.

Anybody out there tried Second Skin? I guess I'd just have to gut the interior and apply some sound deadening mats and/or spray the interior with a liquid lining of some sort...
            Despite even a perfectly balanced rotating assembly on an inline 4, there are secondary harmonics due to the pistons moving at different speeds throughout their stroke, this leads to a natural imbalance. Stiff motor mounts make this felt in the car, while soft motor mounts dampen it.
            sigpic
            1992 Familia GT-X
            1988 323 GTX
            2011 F150 Lariat Ecoboost
            2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Oh I see, thanks for the clarification...

Comment

i was asking for clarification whether your complaint was engine noise or vibration .... because the two are very different . you mentioned that the vibration started when you installed the mounts . @ idle and up to about 1000-1500 rpm my mounts make the car rattle like it's falling apart . but after 1500 rpm it's as smooth as my suspension allows so yes at idle with the doors open it's LOL .. but in your initial question you mentioned it got worse with rpm and louder over 4k .. that is not the mounts . you have either a balance issue or something else occurring

Comment

Hmm, I do have the "car falling apart" vibration too at mazdanoob but there's consistent vibration right around where the pedals are at higher rpms. I do admit that the engine does smooth out at higher rpms but the sound remains. I'm starting to think that its the exhaust and I just never noticed until I added the poly mounts. And... I guess the balance issue is possible, maybe the engine builder didn't do a great job balancing the crank. I'm also wondering if the forged internals are adding to the vibrations however...

Comment

any update on the NVH? i just had some RR-Racing poly inserts installed on the rear mount and it does sound like i put on a "fast/furious" muffler on the car. the noise and shakes were expected but is it going to settle over time? i'm assuming since the rear mount is on the firewall most of the engine NVH will transfer thru the cabin that way. i might remove them in the future and just install the poly inserts in the front mount.

Comment

Working...
                    X