save rims?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

save rims?

my 99 protege es it has some really banged up and scraped up alloy rims. anyway to save them? can the finish be restored at all? I have tried to clean them, but the clear coat has failed and discolored, and is scraped up. dirt and grime have gotten into the crevasses. i can't afford new rims, but i could at least paint these or maybe wire brush them. any ideas?

Clean the real well, sand down any rough spots until they're smooth, some putty or even bondo can be used to fill in deeper scratches, paint and clearcoat. There is an aluminum putty that you can use to fill in the deeper scratches, but im not sure where to buy it, maybe online only. I've also seen and read about people using bondo. They can be saved, don't worry.

Comment

thanks, i was looking at them and wondering if i could kinda refinish them by going over the surface with a light wire wheel? wouldn't that remove the clearcoat and possibly shine up the underlying alloy? i know the original look and finish would b gone, but they look terrible now.

Comment

I'm not sure what effect the wire wheel will have on it. I haven't gotten around to fixing mine. But mine are painted silver. Are yours just alloy with a clearcoat over it? If so, removing the clearcoat will allow the aluminum to corrode and eventually look just as bad or worse than they do now. Putting at least a clearcoat over it will protect it against corrosion.

Comment

I think what Kev posted is the cheapest solution that will look good.

It is possible to have them machined and recleared professionally by a wheel repair shop though. That would cost more than the wheels are really worth though.

Comment

guess you guys are right. mine look like two tone alloy, one part shiney (now not) and the inner areas dull metallic. i'll try sanding them and see where it gets me. i guess a high temp paint and clear coat will be needed? like engine or header ceramic paint?

Comment

I know yu make clearcoat specifically for wheels. Not sure about normal paint and primer, though.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk.

Comment

Originally posted by dadio4 View Post
                i guess a high temp paint and clear coat will be needed? like engine or header ceramic paint?
                No. Any decent paint system will work. Wheels are not high temperature parts.

Comment

High temp paint isn't required, just something durable to deal with the rocks and dirt and junk.

Comment

well, i took a wire wheel on my drill and totally cleaned one rim. the underlying metal is rough, and doesn't have a uniform look,or shine. parts are nice, other parts dull. i'm gonna get some sand paper and try to smooth them out, then paint it. Probably go to O'Rileys for paint. i bought some good stuff there before. depending on how it turns out, i'll tackel the other rims. sure is alot of work.

Comment

Hope it comes out well. You have any photos of the progress?

Comment

i took some photos with my cell phone. i'm not sure how to get them onto the forum yet though...any tips?

Comment

Transfer them to your computer and use the "Advanced Reply" or whatever it's called and you can post them as attachments if you scroll down out below the reply box.

Comment

i didn't find any paint i really liked for wheels, one all chrome, and one silver, bought some "wheel silver" guess i'll try it...maybe it will look better than the can top does. anyone use any that turned out well?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	protegerims.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	1229534finally finished all rims to night. got cold here pretty quick, so i brought the last two indoors to dry. my wife will love that. !!

Comment

Working...
                              X