Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just picked up an 02' LX

Hi everyone, this is my first post

My girlfreind and I have been car shopping for a long time now, she wanted a protege (shes had very good luck with her current 91 protege- 220k+!!!). Finally, today we came across an unbeatable deal. It's a black 2002 5spd, with sunroof, oem alarm, keyless entry, alloy wheels, oem cd player, cruise control, abs brakes, and power everything. We got it from a small used car dealer in providence rhode island. I was able to contact the original owner, he told me that he worked far from home, which explains why this car has so many miles (70k). He's 38 years old, so I can assume he drove responsibly, considering the car is in great shape and has a clear title. The dealer asked for only $5950!! And this includes a comprehensive 6 month warranty. There are also extended warranty plans we can pickup later (1yr for $180, 2yr for $300, 3yr for $450).

Of course, the car has a few little problems (non of which offset the great price)

1) the driver's side window has a hard time getting down (makes cruching sound), and an even harder time getting back up. in fact, you have to help it get all the way back up!

2) the inside trunk popper lever does not work. you have to open the trunk with the key.

3) going into 2nd and 3rd gear (mostly 2nd) is a little rough. the shifter tends to stick about half way into the gear- requiring a little extra force to get it all the way in. I spoke to a guy at a mazda dealer a while back (another mazda we test drove did the same thing) he said it was likely to be the synchros that were going. He also said that if the problem is bareable, that it may never get worse. Does it cost much to fix this? is it serious?

4) minor stuff- like a missing oem radio knob, the rear quarter panel has some superficial scrape marks where the car must have rubbed against another car, theres a tiny pea sized hole in the drivers seat upholstery. Flaky, pealing shift knob diagram.

do any of these problems sound typical of mazda proteges? are there any DIYs out there that may address them? Why is it that this 2002 has no side markers?

what do you guys think, did we get a deal or what? what was the msrp on this car?

thnx,

-fernando
    Last edited by blackened; 01-18-2005, 11:10 PM.

oops. I meant to edit my post

PS heres my ride

Last edited by blackened; 01-18-2005, 10:58 PM.

Comment

lol why did you quote your self????? lol but congrats
      .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
      225.94wtq
      torque monster!!!!
      dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
      http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
      http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

There is a little lever on the trunk setup that enables/disables the interior cable... it's for safety so you can lock the trunk when the car's being worked on. That's the first place I'd check, I've had that turn out to be the problem on three different cars.

Comment

Sounds like a very nice car man protege's are awsome and last forever (besides 2nd gens with the 1.5L ) but yeh great choice! and price!

btw your civic is hottt

Comment

ohhhha ct boy, where in ct are you?
            .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
            225.94wtq
            torque monster!!!!
            dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
            http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
            http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

pretty clean!
              Maroon 1995 Probe SE
              Beige 1994 Protege DX
              Silver 2001 Protege ES

Comment

Nice Civic and all but... how about some pictures of the Mazda?
                the window would more than like be the regulator needing som tlc or the motor. Just remove the door panel and check it out. I don't recolect any others having problems with the windows needing help? Do a search for OEM radios being sold and see what you come up with? We have a place here in Dayton that would more than likely sell just the knob for the radio? No gaurantee though? It's called DSS. http://www.dssworldwide.com/New%20Doorway%20Page.html
                give them a call and see if they can get you what you need?
                'I did nothing... I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be!?'
                -Dean
                2003.5 Vivid Yellow Protege5

Mods:
                18" G-Racing Kirins - hyper black
                Eibach Pro-Line lowering springs
                MazdaSpeed Axelback Exhaust
                Injen CAI - Polished
                Tinted windows. Llumar 35front 2&hatch glass/25middle roll down glass/18backside4
                DaveB trim rings
                Painted Calipers - G2

Stereo:
                Alpine CVA-1005 - 6.5" LCD Reciever.
                Alpine DVA-5210 - DVD/WMA/CD/MP3 Player
                Alpine ERA-G320 - EQ/Surround processor.
                Kicker IX-405D 5 Channel Amp
                Kicker 12" L5's in bandpass enclosure (2 of them)
                Kicker K-57.2 Components up front
                Kicker K-65 in back.

Future Mods?

Turbo?

Comment

so you dont think the mazda dealership would sell just the one knob?

I live in manchester. sarah lives in tolland.

I'll get some pics up eventually, my friend borrowed my friggin digi cam, i never realized how dependant I am on that thing! I've been missing it for 3 weeks now.

i forgot to mention one last thing about the new protege- the doors are wobbly!! When you close the door (regularly- not too hard, not too soft), the body panel on the 2 front doors wobbles noticeably. Ive never seen this on any car, I'm guessing its supposed to be that way??
                  Last edited by blackened; 01-19-2005, 07:53 AM.

Comment

If you are looking for just the knob, try a junkyard... the dealership would probably charge you $50 for it or something.

Comment

Welcome to the forum man. Nice looking Civic. That's a rarity!
                      Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Originally posted by NegatiZE
                        Welcome to the forum man. Nice looking Civic. That's a rarity!
                        (thanks) hah yeah right!! there are a ton of clean civics @ 7thgencivic.com .

Comment

hah. i did end up paying $24 for a stupid knob.

anyway, heres some pics (im sure your all dying to see a bone stock protege)

here's my traditional civic plug

Comment

Originally posted by DeanSweetP5
                            Nice Civic and all but... how about some pictures of the Mazda?
                            haha 2.5 months later ive got a pic finally!

this pic was taken just before we put the 14" honda steelies with bridgestone blizzaks on em.

Comment

Nice
                              Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Working...
                              X