fuel filter question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel filter question

Looking at the Autozone website, it says the fuel filter is built into the fuel pump. Are they just talking about the sock/pickup filter or is there another fuel filter that needs to be replaced?
    it's a 2000 1.8l es model

Tim
    Last edited by Tim Benton; 05-11-2005, 09:30 PM.

One is actually in the pump and the other is the sock.
    Change them both!

Does autozone sell the sock too?

Comment

I don't think they have the sock. BTW, where the hell is it located? Under the rear seats? I've replaced all my fuel pumps and filter on my RX-7's but didn't see it in the trunk area.

Thanks for the assist and putting up with my newbie questions.

Tim

Comment

Under the rear seats in the middle, then theres a plate being held on by four bolts thats where you'll find your fuel pump.
        The rear seats just pull off. Carefull putting them back though I broke one of the clips that holds the rear seat down. I have no idea how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks, I just found it and was coming back in to say I had found it I appreciate the help.

Tim

Comment

i have a 1.6 liter 2000 protege and ive done a few searches about the "fuel filter" and im having a hard time finding replacement parts. can anyone give me a website with the exact parts i need to do the job of replacing both filters cause im gettign results such as fuel screeners, etc? also, ive located where the fuel pump is under my seats, is that where everything is i need to be working on?

Comment

as i read more, ive been seeing that you arent suppose to change the fuel filter cause it is a life time thing. my problem is that when i accelerate i get major hesitation and chug chug chug sounds from my muffler. ive had it stall out on me once and i have an automatic. i bought a bottle of greese lightning fuel system cleaner and after a half a tank of usage im not seeing any improvements. any other suggestions on what i should do?

Comment

Originally posted by dafoo21
                my problem is that when i accelerate i get major hesitation and chug chug chug sounds from my muffler.
                I had this problem too, it never actually died, but I thought it was going to. I took it in, and they said they cleaned out a chunk of something from the throttle body screen. Then they reset everything, and the problem went away. They said it wasn't getting the correct fuel/air mixture because of the restriction. Hope this helps some.

Comment

Originally posted by Shoelessjoemac
                  I had this problem too, it never actually died, but I thought it was going to. I took it in, and they said they cleaned out a chunk of something from the throttle body screen. Then they reset everything, and the problem went away. They said it wasn't getting the correct fuel/air mixture because of the restriction. Hope this helps some.
                  would i be able to check this out myself or do u recommend me going in to get it done cause i dont want some jerk telling me i need this this and this done?

Comment

i've been havin problems with my fuel gauge and i read on another forum that i just need to clean my throttle body with some cleaner and it should be fine. my mechanic said that he has to adjust something in the fuel gauge.

where's the throttle body and do you guys think that he's right?

Comment

Pop the hood now find your intake got it, good.
                      Follow the intake up past the air box to the first metal thing you see thats your trottle body.

You can just pull the intake off and look. Start at the front its two 10mm screws for the snorkle. Then take off the air box and resonator together. One bolt on the resonator and one on the airbox. That wil lgive you the slack to wiggle the tube off and get a good look, at the tb.
                      You could probubly get to the TB directly from the ribbed tube, for the engines pleasure. Its being held down by a screw clamp.

Comment

Originally posted by zerocover
                        Pop the hood now find your intake got it, good.
                        Follow the intake up past the air box to the first metal thing you see thats your trottle body.

You can just pull the intake off and look. Start at the front its two 10mm screws for the snorkle. Then take off the air box and resonator together. One bolt on the resonator and one on the airbox. That wil lgive you the slack to wiggle the tube off and get a good look, at the tb.
                        You could probubly get to the TB directly from the ribbed tube, for the engines pleasure. Its being held down by a screw clamp.
                        i have a short ram on it so i have a little bit of an easier job. can i see if the TB screen is dirty from where the TB and the intake connect?

Comment

Working...
                        X