Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gauge Cluster lights/Head lights dimming issue ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gauge Cluster lights/Head lights dimming issue ?

I've got an 02 PR5.. and I've got an issue w/ the Gauge Cluster lights and head lights dimming simultaneously for a second and returning to brightness.. it's not a horendous dimming, but it's deffinately noticeable... I've only see it coincide (occasionally) when shifting from 3rd into 4th usually around 3200-3300 rpm.. but it also occurs when I'm simply driving.. I've installed Sylvania Silver Star (hi-beam) lamps..but from my experience.. I don't think this would cause these symptoms..
    any one have any brilliant ideas....?

and on a side note.. has anyone had the PCM Upgrade for the Cold Start Engine Knock issue..? and if so.. does it work..?

Originally posted by TheMAN
    it's normal... a better battery will help
    hmm.. ok.. not questioning your knowledge... cuz form other posts you've made you're obviously more knowledgable regarding these cars than I will ever be.... but I don't understand how a better battery would aleviate the issue..since the electrics are run from the alternator after startup..and the problme occurs while the enigine is running... is it s question of producing a stronger charge from the battery during startup..? Or is there some part of the allocation of electricity in the engine that I'm missing..?

Thanks

Comment

Consider a flux capacitor. They show up on ebay once in a while.

Comment

the car ALWAYS run off the battery... the alternator just constantly recharges it... the battery acts as a damper to electrical spikes
        Ah.. ok... well in that case it makes sense... excellent.. I'll run out and grab a new battery today..

thanks...

~Aran

Comment

In all seriousness... look into Optima batteries. They have red tops and yellow tops. I think for your needs a red top will be fine.

Comment

Cool. That's new to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
              In all seriousness... look into Optima batteries. They have red tops and yellow tops. I think for your needs a red top will be fine.
              Ok.. so I've gotten the Optima Red Top.. and it's deffinately helped w/ the dimming issue... the only problem I'm running into now.. is the Battery Height... the old (mazda stock) Battery was about an inch taller than the Optima Red Top.. and the clamp that holds the battery in place is screwed into the top of the strut tower.. so there's about an inch of lee-way from the battery clamp to the top of the Optima red top battery..so I can't really get a secure fit... is there an adaptor I can get to make the optima sit higher in the battery tray..?

I unfortuantely found all this out after I almost put my back out taking the Front Strut Bar off..

_thanks

Comment

exide orbital > optima red top
                Ok.. so I've gotten the Optima Red Top.. and it's deffinately helped w/ the dimming issue... the only problem I'm running into now.. is the Battery Height... the old (mazda stock) Battery was about an inch taller than the Optima Red Top.. and the clamp that holds the battery in place is screwed into the top of the strut tower.. so there's about an inch of lee-way from the battery clamp to the top of the Optima red top battery..so I can't really get a secure fit... is there an adaptor I can get to make the optima sit higher in the battery tray..?

I unfortuantely found all this out after I almost put my back out taking the Front Strut Bar off..

_thanks

Comment

You better that that battery height fixed before your short out your electrical system like I did and started a fire. I was rear ended when I had my Red Top and the positive terminal hit the tie down, shorting it out and caught fire. $3000 of damage.
                  Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Working...
                  X