99 protege Radiator Leak / Replacement Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

99 protege Radiator Leak / Replacement Help

On Easter Sunday my gfs car over heated on I-95. We got to our destination luckilly only a few blocks away. The coolant was bone dry. Once car cooled down enough so we could look at it, we put water in the radiator. It started leaking on the bottom. I removed the fan today and bought some of that liquid aluminum radiator sealent from pepboys. It held for about 15-20 mins then I drove around the block at 20-25 mph. The pressure caused the leak to spray again. It is a pin sized hole that sprays 1-2 feet.. very thin stream.

Does anyone know how hard it is is to remove the radiator and put in a new one? I am no mechanic. I can change my own oil, air and fuel filter. Changed my brakes, lights etc. Is it going to be removing all sorts of engine parts just to pull this bastard out, or is it free standing by a few bolts? I got the fan and the plastic piece for the air filter off above the radiator off with 4 screws. ALL ADVICE / INPUT / RECOMMENDATIONS ARE WELCOME!!

Thanks!!
    Last edited by gnome; 04-11-2007, 10:38 PM.

the radiator is held in by 4 bolts/2 mounts at the top and the 2 hose connections. take those off, and the rad lifts out. pretty easy.
    No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

I just did mine and it was very easy and did not take a lot of time. If you take your time and are patient you should get her out fine. If you need anything else just holla.
      "mess with the mazda...... mess with the chick......."mazdachic"

I don't go looking for no trouble but somehow the trouble always finds me, Don't make me have you in the trauma center With your momma crying cause her only son is dying, She just don't know it's just your karma catching up cause I'm a Drama Setter

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for the tips and advice! After the the blood and sweat poured out of me I got this thing replaced and moved from my friends front lawn! No leaks or issues. We drove about 20 miles with no heating issues.

The issues I am faced with now:
        Her Auxilary fan doesnt turn on when I switch on the A/C. This would be the fan on the left side. I dont see where the power comes from except if gets polarized from a bolt. Any advice for this?

Comment

did it work before u removed the fans & rad? ck the plug ,,, likely needs clean up of connectors

Comment

I dont know. Its not my car. I've never worked on it. (except to my exceptional job today at replacing that radiator! woohoo)

Comment

Working...
            X