No announcement yet.

A/C freon?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm up in Gainesville and I do my own work because most mechanics aren't as good a me or they at least don't care as much about my car, but there is a place called Smitty's that not only does a good job, but they are really very honest. www.sasponline.com is there website for parts.

Make sure your cooling fans are running. The drivers side should be on whenever your A/C is on. If you don't have enough air circulation across the radiator (and condenser) you can't convert the vapor back to liquid, which means the freon can't evaporate and provide cooling inside the car. Is your temperature gage reading about half way up or is it high (especially at idle).

You can get freon with indicator at just about any autoparts store. I have a $20 A/C kit that I got at advance autoparts that let's me fill as well as check high and low side pressure.

Comment

Well the update so far is here http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32951

I started a new thread forgetting about this one. As for the question above about the temp reading. It's always been fine. Sits a little below mid temp. Never had an issue with overheating at all.
      01 proto...jew know?

Comment

Its also a good time to check your air conditioner to make sure that its working properly for the summer. To Check you freon pressure with a manifold gauge and a cooking thermometer.
        Here is general automotive chart for R-134a ONLY.

outside temp" Low side, high side* center vent temp.

--------60 °F" 28-38 psi, 130-190 psi* 44-46 °F

--------70 °F" 30-40 psi, 190-220 psi* 44-48 °F

--------80 °F" 30-40 psi, 190-220 psi* 43-48 °F

--------90 °F" 35-40 psi, 190-225 psi* 44-50 °F

--------100 °F" 40-50 psi, 200-250 psi* 52-60 °F

--------110 °F" 50-60 psi, 250-300 psi* 68-74 °F

--------120 °F" 55-65 psi, 320-350 psi* 70-75 °F

Or instead of having to have the chart in hand you can use this rule of thumb,

with R134a is to run fan on High with all windows open and engine at 1500 rpm. High side pressure in PSI should be about 2.2 to 2.5 times outside air temperature in degrees F. Example if it's 90 degrees F, high side should be no higher than 225PSI. - Peter Florance)

Comment

Working...
        X