Engine Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Problem

Hi all, I just registered in the forum looking for help with an engine problem with my protege.

I have a 2003 DX protege with 55K miles. I never before had experienced any problems with my engine until some parts got changed this past weekend. I had this changed:

-timing belt
    -alternator belt
    -water pump

this was a first for those 3 parts. after changing that, the mech also washed the engine (i had this done one time before, 2 years ago without any issues). now, i'm experiencing the engine kinda stuttering at neutral revolutions. the mechanic turned the revs up at idle to compensate but i want to get rid of the problem at the root cause. the engine problem is more evident if one take a look/hear at the exhaust pipe.

some people had adviced me to change the spark plug cables but i'm trying to understand the whole picture and what would it take to fix this.

i would appreciate any insight. i'm not technical so pardon if I'm missing the correct terms.

A few months ago I swapped a motor in a Protege and changed the timing belt while I had it out. Once I got the engine installed it ran similar to your description. I had the timing belt off by one tooth. Check the timing again to be sure it is exactly correct.

Comment

yep..sounds like time is off
      Honda

Comment

When I first got my 2000 Protege I changed the oil and spark plugs. Then I did a good degrease and wash down of motor. After that I had the same idle problems you had. Come to find out, water had gotten in to where the spark plugs were. I removed each wire, one by one and vacuumed out the spark plug port. Car ran normal again after that. That's just my experience.

Comment

Working...
        X