Steering Wheel shaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering Wheel shaking

ok this is really getting annoying and i want to know if anybody else has had this problem. When i get to around 55-60mph my steering wheels starts to shake rapidly. i just replaced the side engine mounts with awr poly mounts and put corksport poly inserts into my front and rear mounts. so i dont know if its an alignment issue or whether the poly mounts are just putting a lot of the vibrations into the steering wheel. by the way this is all in reference to a Mazdaspeed Protege, and i have heard or MP5's with this problem too. Anybody else have this problem??

Yeah, my DD does this too. Alignment didn't solve the problem, I suspect worn tie-rods.

1993 Mazda Familia GTR - work log

Comment

Could be a few things. Tie rods,bal joints,bent rim(hitting pot holes),unbalanced rims/tires. Start with the first thing and check your ball joints and tie rods. Then if those are ok go down and have your tires rebalanced.
      1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
      1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
      2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
      2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
      .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

I have the same thing... If you have access to a spare set of wheels you might throw them on and see if it changes too. I know mine is either a wheel out of round (chrome wheels are the worst even if you've painted them), or tires need balancing.

1988 White GTX - #1 parts
        1988 Black GTX - #2 reliably broken touge monstar (294,000 miles no rebuilds) - dead
        1988 Blue GTX - #3 in progress (view here)
        1988 Blue GTX - #4 BPT swapped weekend warrior.
        1988 White GTX - #5 Rally car

Comment

I bought a service contract with Firestone when I first got my car. If you have a service agreement that covers balancing and alignment, take it in and have it checked. My guess is tire balance. Most suspension problems cause shaking at all speeds, only the frequency of the shaking changes with speed. Tires are balanced for a specific speed and a lot of shops don't do a very good job. If the balancing is off and causing the shaking, you can be sure that you will have other suspension problems as well before long.

Comment

Are your tires balanced?

Comment

well the original weights are still on them, but i have noticed that the insides of my tires are bald. thats why i thought it was an alignment problem, maybe toe out a little. before i bought the car though it was in an accident but no frame damage was reported. my tie rod ends look fine, even the rubber bushing is in good condition. since i am selling the car and dont have anymore money to fix it i think i will just tell the new owner it might need tires and alignment. thanks for the input guys.

Comment

Working...
              X