2000 DX Parking Brake Cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2000 DX Parking Brake Cable

I was parked on a incline tonight and pulled too hard on my parking brake. *POP* The handle now freely moves up without any tension. So I have a couple of questions for the professionals out there:

1) Is my parking brake still engaged? Can I still drive the car around?
    2) I just have been placing the car in R while parked, is this bad?
    3) Any idea on how much this will cost me to get fixed? (I lack any mechanical know-how, so I will have to take it to a shop...unfortunately)

Thanks for all your help!
    Last edited by opril; 08-15-2009, 10:51 PM.

you probably snapped the center cable which connects your handle to the 2 rear cables...its common lol.

Best bet is to loosen the e-brake adjustment bolt and see if the cable will slide out...then you know you're issue! If that's not the case, then just crawl under the car and take a look, might have to drop a heat shield or 2 though...

JACK.
    -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Originally posted by Mazda_Powered View Post
      you probably snapped the center cable which connects your handle to the 2 rear cables...its common lol.

Best bet is to loosen the e-brake adjustment bolt and see if the cable will slide out...then you know you're issue! If that's not the case, then just crawl under the car and take a look, might have to drop a heat shield or 2 though...

JACK.
      Any idea on the cost to get something like this fixed?
      Last edited by opril; 08-16-2009, 08:10 PM.

Comment

This same thing happened to me on a Toyota. TO answer your questions, (and based on my experience), yes, parking brake still engaged. As a result, no, I would NOT drive the car around!!!
        Leaving the car in R is OK while parked, although I hope you're not parked on an incline as it doesn't lock the wheels up, I believe.
        Cost? no idea as every car is different on this. My Toy cost ~$500 but I needed the cable replaced as it was 5sp manual. If you have an auto, you may not prioritize it perhaps, just figure out a way to disconnect it. If you have 5sp, you will need it!!! Call a few shops in advance asking them how much $$ to replace a seized parking brake cable. Not sure how you will get the car there as its my understanding that driving with cable engaged can hack things up worse.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryP View Post
          This same thing happened to me on a Toyota. TO answer your questions, (and based on my experience), yes, parking brake still engaged. As a result, no, I would NOT drive the car around!!!
          Leaving the car in R is OK while parked, although I hope you're not parked on an incline as it doesn't lock the wheels up, I believe.
          Cost? no idea as every car is different on this. My Toy cost ~$500 but I needed the cable replaced as it was 5sp manual. If you have an auto, you may not prioritize it perhaps, just figure out a way to disconnect it. If you have 5sp, you will need it!!! Call a few shops in advance asking them how much $$ to replace a seized parking brake cable. Not sure how you will get the car there as its my understanding that driving with cable engaged can hack things up worse.

Hope this helps.
          I don't know if it is engaged as the car will slide down a hill when in neutral. No sounds at all coming from the rear wheels.

Comment

Well then it appears far less likely that the cable snapped while engaged, which you would feel if it was, ie, no easy sliding of the car downhill, more resistance etc. If so, you have a bit less of an emergency. Call around or if you feel handy, get under the car and disconnect completely. YOu never mentioned whether 5sp or auto. This is a very relevant point as for me I would never have repaired mine if it were auto....

Comment

Working...
            X