Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help!! Clunking Sound

Hi,

I've just put in some TEIN S springs on my Protege ES, and there's a clunking sound in the rear suspension. The sound occurs when I hit a bump or something, it's very annoying, please help. Thanks.

Sounds like a strut. Should have upgraded those when you did your springs.

Comment

its either a strut OR i am having the same problem on a 2003 protege lx...but in the front...they said it was the engine mounts so get that checked too...might not be coming from the rear like u said...could also be the exhaust?

Comment

exhausts tend to rattle vs clunk. having blown a strut, they clunk hard, specially when frozen. and I have a torn engine mount, it doesn't clunk, it just vibrates terribly.
        No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

i agree with blow strut or spring is not on right slip off
          sigpicSLICK PROTEGE

Comment

lol, do a search for clunk on msprotege.com

This is an infamous problem on many 3rd gens once you begin modifying the stock suspension. It comes from the springs clunking against the strut perch as you go over bumps. TheMan found a set of spring *sleeves* - basically a set of rubber inserts that slide between the spring and the perch. They eliminate the noise but will cost you.
            The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

I had to change my strut when I got Tein Springs so I would say that's your problem, I had that crappy clunk de dunk too.
              "mess with the mazda...... mess with the chick......."mazdachic"

I don't go looking for no trouble but somehow the trouble always finds me, Don't make me have you in the trauma center With your momma crying cause her only son is dying, She just don't know it's just your karma catching up cause I'm a Drama Setter

Comment

When I had my 95 Protege, I had a clunk. After spending $480 in parts and labor thanks to the place playing trial & error with my car, it turned out that the spring had to go in the right way and was upside down. The boss was the guy that found it, he wasn't there the other days I had come in for the problem. He even told me to look at the spring as he turned left and right. It would snap and make a clunk noise. Just something else for you to check.

Comment

Working...
                X