Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Popping noise comming from front driver's side while braking ??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Popping noise comming from front driver's side while braking ??????

I have a 2000 Mazda Protege 1.6L . It has 235,000 miles on it. All of a sudden we have been noticing a loud popping noise when we are stopping. It is coming from the front end driver's side. I have replaced the sway bar end links once and they need to be replaced again but this doesnt sound like them . This noise only happens when I am braking. The sway bar end links dont ever make a noise like this . So I have ruled out the end links.
    What could it be ? I have searched and to me it is starting to sound like a strut. Now get this: I can be stopped and hit the brake pedal and no sound at all. But when I hit the brakes while moving , the popping happens. SO I am thinking that something like the strut is shifting or popping. I have looked at my caliper and rotors and they are all tight.
    Any help on what this could be is appreciated.
    Toyota Tacoma : The A-10 Warthog of Trucks

Anti-seize Grease is your friend

going to have to do the usual checks. jack the driverside up leave the tire on and try and wiggle it side to side and top and bottom. any play at all try and source where it's coming from .
    top and bottom play in just the wheel = wheel bearings
    side to side play = tire rod ends ( usually)
    whole spindle moves = ball joints
    check the condition of the cv joints looking for torn boots ect
    drive in tight turns and see if you get the same popping/clicking sound without braking
    how does the steering wheel feel when you brake?
    can you feel a bit of a wobble when you brake ?

Comment

Since you only hear the noise when braking I would start with the brake system.

Pull off the caliper and see if the shim on the pad is still attached. If not attached either R&R the pads or get some of this;

and glue them down.

I have also see the friction material separate from the backing plate causing odd noises, something a visual check will not reveal.

If the brakes check out, then I would start looking to suspension components worn (split control arm bushings can sometimes resemble what you describe).
      The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Working...
      X