FS: billet steel oil pump gears for BP and B6 motors

http://roadsterjdm.com/
    Bill Wilner
    1988 AWD GTX
    1994 FD
    1995 Miata
    Owner Dude
    MiataRoadster

thank you SO MUCH for bringing us BP guys this... i hope you grab more than a few sales from it... protecting a couple grands worth of investment at your price is well, well, worth it.. thanks for remembering clubprotege!
    Guess who's back, back again. cable's back.. tell a friend.

Comment

How much are they?

Frank
      92 EGT
      03.5 MSP
      05 ZX-6R
      Frank
      92 EGT
      03.5 MSP
      05 ZX-6R

Comment

Originally posted by 18sOnAiR
        How much are they?

Frank
        92 EGT
        03.5 MSP
        05 ZX-6R
        They are $425 shipped.

--Ferdi
        If you can't differentiate between brake and break, you should go back to school
        -----
        Miscellaneous Pics of Turbo Protege Build
        Big Front Brake Install using Wilwood Calipers
        Factory Service Manuals and Familia Brochures - PDF

Comment

thanx
          Frank
          92 EGT
          03.5 MSP
          05 ZX-6R

Comment

BTW, here's a pic:

Bill
            RoadsterJDM.com
            Bill Wilner
            1988 AWD GTX
            1994 FD
            1995 Miata
            Owner Dude
            MiataRoadster

Comment

thats a pretty fancy piece there.
              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
              he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

bookmarked

Till I get the new motor runnin'

94 Protege LX: HX-35, Megasquit, ect...
                98 Subaru Legacy GT-DD: 1 inch lift, and all the standard N/A stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by RoadsterJDM
                  BTW, here's a pic:

Bill
                  RoadsterJDM.com
                  its off topic but can you take a pic of that bp engine in the backdrop.thanks.just for my own use.
                  1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                  1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                  2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                  2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                  .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

FYI: Bill recently dropped the price to $300 for a set of billet oil pump gears. I believe that he found a cheaper machine shop or process of making them, but he has to do batches of 10. You can order them from his website: www.miataroadster.com.
                    If you can't differentiate between brake and break, you should go back to school
                    -----

Comment

do these also increase flow or are they strictly just stronger?
                      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by bpt323
                        do these also increase flow or are they strictly just stronger?
                        My gears are identical design to the OEM gears, just made out of stronger material. Flow is not changed.

To increase flow, the pump housing would need to be "ported," which I haven't looked into.

FYI, I do have a source for a stronger-than-OEM stainless steel relief valve spring to raise oil pressure.

I invite you to visit my site MiataRoadster.com for more info.

Thanks,

Bill
                        Bill Wilner
                        1988 AWD GTX
                        1994 FD
                        1995 Miata
                        Owner Dude
                        MiataRoadster

Comment

Why haven't you looked into making the gear's backing plate out of the same material? All the oil pump failures I have seen the retaining plate has shattered as well from the gear failure. Just an opinion... Nice parts by the way..

Comment

Originally posted by Clean 4WD
                            Why haven't you looked into making the gear's backing plate out of the same material? All the oil pump failures I have seen the retaining plate has shattered as well from the gear failure. Just an opinion... Nice parts by the way..
                            Thanks for the compliment!

Clean 4WD: What you're suggesting could be done, but I think it's overkill (read my thoughts below). Including a new backing plate with the new billet steel gears would make the price point even higher. Frankly, very few people have been able to rationalize purchasing the gears alone at the original $425 price. We'll see how many takers there are at the "new, improved" $300 price. :-D

You could make that rear backing plate of unobtanium. When the gears shatter, there ain't nothin' that's going to contain the explosion. The shattered gears shrapnel would take the path of least restistance and instead, explode out the front of the cast aluminum pump housing, damaging other valuable parts (crank pulley, radiator, belts, accessories, $$ CF hood, etc.) rather than be contained rearward against the front of the cast iron block.

Any aft movement of the gears is already limited by the shoulder of the crank nose; the backing plate is not really there to keep the gears perpendicular to the crank or strengthen the pump. The backing plate's function is to seal the oil in the pump chamber; it could be made of plastic if it were rigid enough to seal the chamber and withstand the heat. The OEM pot metal backing plate does the job just fine.

The bottom line is making the gears strong enough to never shatter. In my thinking, the OEM backing plate is not worth improving upon with or without the stronger billet steel gears. That said, I'd be very interested in hearing anecdotal evidence that might change my mind.

Thanks for the opportunity to discuss this important product,

Bill Wilner
                            MiataRoadster.com
                            Last edited by MiataRoadster; 09-25-2006, 01:48 PM.
                            Bill Wilner
                            1988 AWD GTX
                            1994 FD
                            1995 Miata
                            Owner Dude
                            MiataRoadster

Comment

Fyi

It seems that lowering the price to $300 did the trick. Bill has just informed me that the next batch will start production this Monday, but he will accept orders up to this Friday. If you are interested, there is more info on his website (http://miataroadster.com/index.html#gears).

--Ferdi
                              -----

Comment

Working...
                              X