Nicer than stock OEM steering wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nicer than stock OEM steering wheel

Looking to replace my stock 1st-gen Protege steering wheel with, well, just about any other OEM Mazda steering wheel (airbag or not) that has leather.

That includes the Miata leather wheel, the MX-3 leather wheel (if such a thing exists, I'm making an assumption here) and the later-generation Protege leather wheel (if it fits, again I'm making an assumption.)

For the right price, I'll also consider the non-leather MX-3 and 323 wheels, as I simply hate the triangular stock Protege wheel (and don't want to go aftermarket.)

Thanks!
    Once upon a time, I had a 1993 Protege LX with about 34,000 miles -- owned by my family since new, got it from my dad two years prior with about 18,000 (and two of the original tires) -- then I gifted it to a friend who needed a car. Now it has come back to me with 55,000 and a smoke-laden interior (plus lots of little broken things), so I'm trying to figure out what to do with it.

mx-3 leather = very rare!
    regular mx-3 = nice piece and contains a spring-loaded horn which is better than the protege's crappy horn pad.
    miata = not sure about
    newer protege's = have the airbag module and that will rack up the price of the steering wheel.

any mazda steering wheel should fit in the car AFAIK.

Comment

You should get one of these bad boys:
      Attached Files

Comment

Since I have an automatic transmission, I feel like a non-OEM wheel would just make it more obvious that I'm a poser.

Thanks for the breakdown on wheels, whistler -- I've seen more than a few on eBay (the Miata leather ones) but my first choices are absolutely the later-model non-radio-switch leather wheels or an MX-3 leather wheel -- the latter of which sounds like a non-starter.
        Once upon a time, I had a 1993 Protege LX with about 34,000 miles -- owned by my family since new, got it from my dad two years prior with about 18,000 (and two of the original tires) -- then I gifted it to a friend who needed a car. Now it has come back to me with 55,000 and a smoke-laden interior (plus lots of little broken things), so I'm trying to figure out what to do with it.

Comment

Actually, I just found a leather MX-3 wheel -- how much should I be willing to pay, do you think?

Comment

Whoops, spoke too soon -- it's a MX6 wheel. Hmm.

Comment

That'll still fit.

Comment

Originally posted by davejay View Post
                Since I have an automatic transmission, I feel like a non-OEM wheel would just make it more obvious that I'm a poser.
                You could always get an OEM Momo wheel from a GTX like mine.....

93' 5spd DX
                R.I.P

Comment

If he can find one, that would be a great choice.

Comment

That is nice. I didn't realize that was OEM. Anyone who has a lead on that, for heaven's sake tell me.

Comment

Who knew it was so hard to find a decent wheel? One and only one bump to see if anyone's got a lead on a leather Mazda OEM wheel.

Comment

so the mx6 wheel is a bust? cause those look nice, not true leather, but sure look prettier than the stock protege.
                        No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up on that Momo wheel -- shame it looks like the stitching is coming out...

The MX-6 wheel is still available, it's just more than I want to pay (it'd be around $140 with shipping, he keeps relisting it every five days or so), but I'm starting to think that I'm asking for too much for too little money.

Is it out of line to think I should be able to find the leather MX-6, MX-3 or OEM Momo wheel for $100 with shipping, in really good shape?

Comment

i want this one:

donations please?

woot!
                            miss my '93 LX at every corner
                            photo album
                            Catch me on Facebook

Comment

Working...
                            X