Does anyone have a spare 4wd tranny?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone have a spare 4wd tranny?

I would like it if someone had an extra 4wd tranny I would pay them for it...

Also I was wondering if anyone had some parts for an auto to manual conversion for the 4wd too.

What can I get for the from the fwd models?

What do I need from a 4wd model?

btw I was going to change the motor when i do this to a BP05

so do you have a 4wd or do you just have plans on making a 4wd... im in portland and have a 4wd (if you have a fwd) and you could swing by my house and i can show you the chassis for the 4wd and why thats not such a great idea there really is ALOT different, the tunnel is the least of your problems

If i could ever find a gtx tranny id sell you my usdm trans

good luck with the auto to manual, the shifter cable shifter assembly is hard as chit to get ahold of unless your car came with it aka buying a 4wd 5spd.

btw your questions are too vague, i dont know exactly what you want out of this... is it a b8 sohc right now, because usually people do change the motor when they put a bp in its sort of a requirement (if you get my drift)... then i dont know what you mean by what you want to get from a fwd and 4wd.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Comment

Ok sorry I didn't explain myself better I do have a 4wd right now that is an auto. I also have a fwd that is a manual and I'm going to use that while I work on my 4wd cause I know it will take a lot of work to make the 4wd a manual.

And thank you fazda I would love to see how your car differs so I could know what exactly I need for the 5 speed swap on my auto 4wd.

Basically I posted this cause I wanted to see if maybe someone had done a bpt swap into a fwd and had a spare tranny or something that they could sell me that is a from a gtr (the 4wd tranny).

Comment

the gtx and gtr are both 4wd... the gtr trans is probably going to end up costing you as much as you paid for your car to find someone with one and shipping. Both trannys are pretty hard to find, corksport (local to both of us) has a couple of 4wd owners and considering they dont sell jdm motors any more they dont get many trannys and when they do the employees snatch them up ;(

be prepaired to pay upwards of 500 dollars (maybe more maybe less) to get a gtx tranny to your door...

the pedals you could take them from a fwd as they are the same and you could take the slave and clutch master cylinder off a fwd too (slave im only kinda sure, master im positave) your hardest hardware for you to get will be the cable shifter assembly, trannys are hard to get but around cable shifters are hard to get and nearly impossible to find... it may be something where you end up having to contact an importer (i know there was a guy on here that was buying gtx goodies for people and shipping them over to us stickied in the forsale section).
        There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Comment

Thanks fazdaboy. This project keeps looking more and more challenging, it's not nearly as easy as the fwd auto to manual swap...

Comment

What's the difference with the jdm GTR tranny and the usdm tranny?

Comment

A Lot.
              different gear ratios.
              GTR: shotpeened (or was it cryoed..) 1/2 gears.
              GTR: stronger case, less flex.
              GTR: case is slightly different, tilts the motor forward a few more degrees (I couldn't see the difference, but it has been reported). :might be false:
              LSD center diff vs. electronically lockable open.
              Proven to hold 400hp, proven to break around 200hp (guestimates).
              Less than 2000 GTRs worldwide, and falling. unknown # for 4WDs, but around 1800 (and falling) in North America, plently more globally.
              GTR was never an auto, but the 4WD #'s include autos.

That pretty much highlights the differences I can think of.
              No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

I have 3 trannies here, 2 bpt and a gtr, and I don't think there's any gearing difference. Yes some of the internals on the gtr box are indeed shotpeened, but not cryo'd. As far as I can tell, the cases are identical. The only difference externall that can be found is that the front lower trans mount is different between the two...if it hadn't been for that one detail, I'd never have known I had a gtr box in the first place. If I'm remembering right when we put the drivetrain in the rallycar we used the bpt box it came with when I bought it so that gtr box is currently sitting in my garage as a spare. yep, I'm remembering righjt, it was aeasier to do that rather than make new fittings on teh other case for the cooler lines. No, it is not and never will be for sale...it'll go in whichever car breaks it's trans first! ESPECIALLY if Corksport isn't stocking these things anymore, damn that makes me nervous. I better give Derrick a call..
                '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
                '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
                http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Ya my tranny situation is getting to be a real pain I can't seem to find one da.mn tranny but I guess that's what you get when you buy a rare car from the early 90's

Comment

Working...
                  X