GTX Speed Sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GTX Speed Sensor

I need a speed sensor for my 1988 323GTX. PM me if you have one, I don't get on here much anymore.

Bump!

Comment

Does anyone know of any other speedo sensors that are the same? I'd really love to know how fast I'm going when I'm in my GTX.

Comment

Not Very.
        Just kiddin man. There's a ton of BF guru's around here one of them probably has one somewhere.
        -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
        VF10 powered!
        262 Whp & 257 Wtq
        13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

I got a bunch full of GTX parts, I might have one??
          What does it look like lol?
          Current:
          88 323 BF GT Sedan
          04 SRT-4
          12 Mustang Boss 302
          18 WRX
          18 Crosstrek

Comment

The vehicle speed sensor is the thing that goes into the transmission and is driven by the plastic gear on the diff. It also serves as the transmission dipstick. Mine apparently doesn't work anymore, so I can't see my speed while I'm driving. When I take the cable apart and spin it by hand the speedo moves, so it has to be the sensor.

Comment

You mean the gear? Or the lower cable half? I can't figure out what you mean exactly.
              1990 Protege 4WD
              GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
              ├┼┤
              2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

There is actually a VSS in the cluster that is used for the Cruise control unit. The GTX does not use it as they were not offered with cruise control. The service manual refers to the part you are asking for as the speedometer driven gear. Check the speedo cables as they will go south before the gear will. Let us know.
                Clay

Comment

Okay that makes sense.

I agree with the cable dying before the gear. Try a different one if you can. The gear is easy to check though. Just look at it to see if it is stripped or damaged.
                  1990 Protege 4WD
                  GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
                  ├┼┤
                  2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

The upper cable is fine; when I spin it, the speedo moves. I can't get the lower cable off of the driven gear, so I can't test the lower cable, so i guess both would be best.

I appreciate you guys help me figure my issue out. Hopefully someone will have extras so I can finally get it fixed.

Comment

Bump! I still have no speedo.

Comment

somebody help the guy out,I tried but to no avail.

Comment

Take off the big nut that holds the lower cable to the driven gear and shoot some penetrating oil in there. You need to work that cable off as I am pretty sure it is broken. Any cable from a standard tranny BF 323 will work. Give it a try. If by chance you try to pry the driven gear out with a screwdriver...DON'T the ear will snap off..twist it loose and pull straight up. Ask me why I know this!!
                          Clay

Comment

I can get the sensor out of the trans, but i can't get the cable off of the gear. When I spin the gear the cable doesn't spin, but i can't tell which part is broken since they won't come apart.

Comment

Do like I said..It has to come out...soak it in PB Blaster.

Comment

Working...
                              X