more watts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

more watts?

ok, a while back I was given really good adivce on what amp to buy.

I currently run 2 - 10" kenwood subs (600w) powered by a JBL bp 600.1 mono amp. My question is this....

I have the chance to pick up another bp 600.1 for cheap. If I did get this amp, I could run have a dedicated amp for each sub and push more power to them theoretically.
    But this also makes me worry if they will be too much for the subs and blow them.

I know a 600w amp doesnt output a true 600 watts, its usually lower, but I figure being close like that, dont want to take any chances....

Any suggestions?
    The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

more power is always a good thing, if used properly.

Comment

True what Blue says, but can Kenwood subs handle the extra power? I was thinking of doing the same with my set up using ED subs. They have a decent power rating, but don't require a lot of juice to push them which after thinking long and hard, I decided that 300 watts to each sub is probably enough power. If you are using a higher end sub maybe, but with Kenwood, you have to ask yourself if it is really necessary or would it make that big of difference. BTW, I too have a BP600.1 amp and it's a nice amp! I wouldn't mind having 2 as well!
      2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
      KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
      Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
      Groundkit

Comment

thats what I was thinking.... double my pleasure.....

Comment

you just have to be VERY careful with low bass. overpowering speakers is not usually a bad thing, as long as you do not crank it full volume all the time, and as long as you don't play too low of frequencies for the speaker. playing too low frequencies is a major killer of subs and regular speakers.

Comment

oh I am sure I has pushed the limit with low bass. A friend of mine wanted to try his King of Quad, DJ magic mike, and Bass Patrol cds in there. I could hit all the low notes no problem. Also, the subs are 600w 4ohm. I know the BP600.1 only outputs 2ohms max

Comment

If you get the other amp, hook everything up, turn your front bass control to the highest you will ever use it, and then start slowly turning your gains up until the subs start distorting. That way you can make sure that they'll never get damaged by turning it up too loud, but you get the benefit of the extra power. Having the other amp will make higher volumes easier to reach without stretching your amp or your speakers.

Comment

thats the whole reason for the other amp. Less stress/work for the first one to do. Dont get me wrong the JBL has been good to me, I just want to give it a break and see how well I like a dual amp system.

I will do that joel, thx for the idea.

Comment

eh.. if ya got the cash, why not go up in subs in size or quality.. something that can handle around 500 watts rms/700 peak (as it was my understanding the 600.1 and the 1200.1 notoriously put out over their rated power), and get a new box . cost wise it's not efficient, and sound wise, brian could push the numbers but the gain wouldn't be much over what you have unless you went ported and aren't already. it depends, your situation runs into so many levels, where to start is beyond me.
                  kevin

Comment

how far overrated? My biggest concern is blowing the subs...... Ah well I guess then it gives me a reason to get some new ones. Would up grading to a 1200 watt amp be a better idea? I really dont want to get too far into the sound system currently. That will be part of a much later project....

Comment

if you aren't wanting to get too far into a system right now, save your money for when you do want to

Comment

i am sure that most of you here will be more than willing to help me spend it.....

expect alot of posting/pms......

Comment

Working...
                        X